NEVER release an aquarium fish into the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingbak48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
cali
i want a snakehead....lol
but yea this sticky is totally true, ty for posting

blue_gourami45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
Alberta Canada
I totally agree about not releasing aquarium fish into the wild. I didn't even know that the native fish could get diseases from the aquarium fish, but the reason I disagree with releasing pet fish is because it's just not moral. It would be like releasing a pet bird outdoors because you didn't want it anymore -- it's just plain wrong. I do not believe in the 'disposable' pet theory with any kind of pet. When you make the commitment to take care of another living creature it is a lifelong commitment. If you cannot follow through, it is your duty to find that creature an appropriate new loving home.:headbang2

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
blue_gourami45;504735; said:
I totally agree about not releasing aquarium fish into the wild. I didn't even know that the native fish could get diseases from the aquarium fish, but the reason I disagree with releasing pet fish is because it's just not moral. It would be like releasing a pet bird outdoors because you didn't want it anymore -- it's just plain wrong. I do not believe in the 'disposable' pet theory with any kind of pet. When you make the commitment to take care of another living creature it is a lifelong commitment. If you cannot follow through, it is your duty to find that creature an appropriate new loving home.:headbang2
Exactly my sentiment. If you can't take care of it, don't own it.

rdeandavidson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2006
Florida
This topic is something of a reality in Florida. I was just told State lawmakers will be trying to outlaw cichlid sales due to the increase of idiots releasing their former pets into the ecosystem. This is mainly by the lobbying efforts of certain sport fishing orginizations. This is a cry for help, I am trying to find more info on this matter and will post results.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
rdeandavidson;516677; said:
This topic is something of a reality in Florida. I was just told State lawmakers will be trying to outlaw cichlid sales due to the increase of idiots releasing their former pets into the ecosystem. This is mainly by the lobbying efforts of certain sport fishing orginizations. This is a cry for help, I am trying to find more info on this matter and will post results.
I would think the breeding population already established would be a bigger problem.

willys-1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Peabody,MA USA
All of these reasons are why I do "fish rescue". Most are ones that have "outgrown" their tanks. "I didn't know that it would get that big"

Dick

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
willys-1;516746; said:
All of these reasons are why I do "fish rescue". Most are ones that have "outgrown" their tanks. "I didn't know that it would get that big"

Dick
That's great. what kind of facilities do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store