Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
The point is supply is there.

Demand is definitely here.

Why is it taking year after year?

People in the fish importing world should have been all over this years ago...... And since they aren't it makes a guy wonder why????

I can't be the only one wondering where the kink is........
Could be something with the collection area. Maybe locals do not allow people in...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Bump.. Spoke to oliver about this not long ago and he seems to be able to get these but the price is a killer. I'm super interested in acquiring a pair and getting the breed going in captivity but the amount of money it would cost compared to the risk involved makes it a very risky investment.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Bump.. Spoke to oliver about this not long ago and he seems to be able to get these but the price is a killer. I'm super interested in acquiring a pair and getting the breed going in captivity but the amount of money it would cost compared to the risk involved makes it a very risky investment.

Are we talking five figures to obtain a pair?

A group of like minded individuals/friends could come to an agreement, draw up contract if need be, chip in the total funds required and get the ball rolling. Appreciate there is a hundred and one things/details to iron out but it could be done

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Are we talking five figures to obtain a pair?

A group of like minded individuals/friends could come to an agreement, draw up contract if need be, chip in the total funds required and get the ball rolling. Appreciate there is a hundred and one things/details to iron out but it could be done

Intriguing. On the other hand if you are in the financial position to care for these creature well enough to make them breed, you also *likely* have the ability to borrow/come up with 5-10k if you truly are looking at it as an investment. Nothing to iron out that way, just pure risk. By this i mean sell off other stock, borrow against the house, get a loan, sell a full setup, idk, not saying coming up with 5-10k is easy by any means I just mean from an investment standpoint no need to involve anyone else and cut down profit cuz it's not like you can sell the puppies for the same price, cuz then everyone would already buy them if they could afford em you know?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Intriguing. On the other hand if you are in the financial position to care for these creature well enough to make them breed, you also *likely* have the ability to borrow/come up with 5-10k if you truly are looking at it as an investment. Nothing to iron out that way, just pure risk. By this i mean sell off other stock, borrow against the house, get a loan, sell a full setup, idk, not saying coming up with 5-10k is easy by any means I just mean from an investment standpoint no need to involve anyone else and cut down profit cuz it's not like you can sell the puppies for the same price, cuz then everyone would already buy them if they could afford em you know?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It's not the expense of buying one which is the main problem, it's obtaining one.

I could comfortably care for a Boesmani pair and upgrade as required their quarters to give them room and quality habitat to encourage breeding, but it doesn't mean I could afford to buy a pair.

As for the price of captive bred Boesmani pups not reflecting the cost of obtaining the parents, I can't see the asking price plummeting. The pups would be captive bred for a start, having all the health benefits of CB rays. Then you've got the HIGH demand for this species.

I agree with you, it's 'easy' enough to raise 5-10k if you had to, selling stock, re mortgage or whatever.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Look at brown rays...... ALL brown rays. CB pups aren't worth crap. I don't care how much the parents cost. Buying a $10K pair of brown rays in hopes of selling pups for anything over $500 is a joke on the person thinking it's an "investment".........

Look at Falks.... NOT the BS castexi "falks" but the real ones.... Rediculously rare. Gorgeous creatures. What do you think CBs would go for? Anywhere near the price of parents? Nope. And they cost a fraction of Boesemani.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but I used to think the same thing about top shelf Marbles and what do I have now? Plans to keep all the nice pups cause no one wants to pony up for them..... lol

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Forgot to add pearls to this as well. You cannot even get wild caught adults yet I bet you could never get over $700 for a pup. I agree Boesmani are the nicest and hardest to obtain brown ray but reality is Brown will never equal Black. My guess would be most will see the pups of either a boes. or a pearl and think why pay that kind of money when I can get a nice marble for $250 and it be close enough.

Fyi I do not breed Fake Falks I breed Poor Man P14's :D

Look at brown rays...... ALL brown rays. CB pups aren't worth crap. I don't care how much the parents cost. Buying a $10K pair of brown rays in hopes of selling pups for anything over $500 is a joke on the person thinking it's an "investment".........

Look at Falks.... NOT the BS castexi "falks" but the real ones.... Rediculously rare. Gorgeous creatures. What do you think CBs would go for? Anywhere near the price of parents? Nope. And they cost a fraction of Boesemani.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but I used to think the same thing about top shelf Marbles and what do I have now? Plans to keep all the nice pups cause no one wants to pony up for them..... lol

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Forgot to add pearls to this as well. You cannot even get wild caught adults yet I bet you could never get over $700 for a pup. I agree Boesmani are the nicest and hardest to obtain brown ray but reality is Brown will never equal Black. My guess would be most will see the pups of either a boes. or a pearl and think why pay that kind of money when I can get a nice marble for $250 and it be close enough.

Fyi I do not breed Fake Falks I breed Poor Man P14's :D
I just got offered wild sub adult pearls last month (price was high) but you can get them if your willing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store