New 125g build...my first 'monster' tank (and a story!)

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
They're about 3.5-4 inches. The oscar is about 5-6 inches. The red heads should be ok. I've been monitoring them closely. The oscar pretty much leaves them alone.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :)

My brother had an oscar that ate a pleco that was over double the Oscar's size.
The pleco was hanging out of the Oscar's mouth for days as the Oscar digested it.
I would be worried about the Geos. Eventually they will look like food to the Oscar.
I would be worried about the cories too.. Just saw that.

Reactions: rsanz85

rsanz85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Montgomery County, MD
I hear you guys. I certainly keep an eye on everyone every morning and evening. So far, there have been no cory casualties. The oscar so far has shown no aggression toward anyone. I have a QT/growout tank ready at all times in case I need to act swiftly and move fish. It's a fairly heavily planted tank, so the smaller fish have plenty of opportunities to hide out and thrive in places that the oscar cannot access.

Moving the oscar is also always an option. My wife would be pissed, but it's an option. Maybe once the severums are grown, I may change course and move the Oscar out. I will say, though, that the 2.5" severum that I have growing out is every bit as voracious of an eater as the 10" oscar. The sev chases everyone else away at feeding time, whereas the oscar does not.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Fantastic looking tank and love the stand. I really enjoyed the documentation and quality pics.

Reactions: rsanz85
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store