New 75g/Predator ?'s

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
FLESHY;4389419; said:
Anglers and lions should be good together. Virtually all anglers could most likely be held for life in your setup. Depending on what sort of lion you chose, you could also house it for life in a 75. You might have to hand or tongs feed your angler and lion to make sure there are no feeding competitions, because although lions are slow swimmers, they will most likely beat an ambush predator to the punch. My .02
Sweet. I appreciate all your help. What about Mandarins? I think they look amazing but I don't want any colorful snacks swimming around..

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
Heathd;4389444; said:
I vote angler. They are some of the coolest fish IMO. I also like flame hawks, but he would likely get eaten by any other pred you may keep.
djb;4389458; said:
Freckled Hawkfish (Paracirrhites forsteri)
Yeah I really like hawkfish, 6line wrasse, flame angels, mandarins... I just don't know what's compatible.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Mandarin in a 75g probably would starve. They require forage, and will starve even when being fed good diets that are vitamin enriched. Watched one starve in a 125g once.

That being said, ORA has now bred them, and they are supposed to be coming out soon. They are also supposed to be able to live on pellets apparently. That beign said they have large finnage and are slow moving, so they are likely to become at least targets of aggression if not a meal in a pred tank.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Sorry...I got ninja'd...I would say dont mix or match. Generally speaking the hawks are okay with smaller fish...just so long as they cant fit in their mouths! You could do that and a six line, and maybe a captive raised mandarin. But then not the other preds. We have a tank in my lab that is a 75g that has a hawk and a 6 line living in it now...so it does work. :D

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4389469; said:
That being said, ORA has now bred them, and they are supposed to be coming out soon. They are also supposed to be able to live on pellets apparently. That beign said they have large finnage and are slow moving, so they are likely to become at least targets of aggression if not a meal in a pred tank.
I have read that people who already have their hands on ORA Manderins are having mixed success with feeding readily available commercial foods.

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
Mandarins sound like too much work, my LFS has like 10 of them in stock, but I'll pass if they're that hard to keep.

Can SW fish be fed market shrimp? It's a staple for my FW fish so it'd be very convenient if so.

But I'd love to have an eel, a couple anglers, a lion, and a hawk, maybe a goby.... That would be nice, maybe a 6line if it would work.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Heathd;4389480; said:
I have read that people who already have their hands on ORA Manderins are having mixed success with feeding readily available commercial foods.
As the dude would say...this is a major bummer man. I had high hopes. I wonder what they feed the adults that they are breeding?

That being said...the main thing you have to keep in mind is whether or not the fish will fit in the other fishes mouth. If it can, it will, its only a matter of time. Therefore, if you want an eel...no six line ect.

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
FLESHY;4389538; said:
As the dude would say...this is a major bummer man. I had high hopes. I wonder what they feed the adults that they are breeding?

That being said...the main thing you have to keep in mind is whether or not the fish will fit in the other fishes mouth. If it can, it will, its only a matter of time. Therefore, if you want an eel...no six line ect.
Ok that makes sense. Just FYI my LFS saltwaterwarehouse.com has their mandarins eating brine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store