New Fahaka Puffer

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
He does look skinny, try to get some food in him/her asap. Puffers with even a little sunk in stomach, are starving. I usually treat all new arrivals(pufferfish anyway) for internal parasites. They are usually wild caught with some hitchhikers.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Mine was around 1" when i bought her home as well, i would personally try and feed bits of market shrimp or even clams / mussels without the shell... Just get your puffer used to eating different foods, and before you know it, they will almost try anything...

Also, as they get older, feeding clams in full shell is another good way to keep their teeth trim...

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Yea I picked him up at my LFS as soon as he came in. He is very skinny. As for when hes older i was thinking crawfish, large snails, clams and probably feeder shrimp. I will try some mussels and shrimp tomorrow. Thanks

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Just picked up some ghost shrimp and stuck them in a 5g. I will wait a couple days to make sure they're gut loaded. Hopefully he will eat them. I also got a little bristlenose for his tank. Hopefully he doesn't give it too much trouble lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I watched him eat some bloodworms today so that's a start. I dropped an open clam in and a piece of broken crab claw. He hasn't had a bite of those yet. I'll wait a little while before I pull them out but hopefully he will check them out

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
He's still only eating bloodworms and maybe the occasional snail. He's not as skinny anymore but he's certainly not stuffed. He's still only about an inch. When do they usually come around to trying new foods? I've tried pieces of shrimp, pellets, half clam and crab meat. He doesn't touch it. Should I be worried or is he still too small and still settling in to try new foods?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I personally was trying different foods per feeding to see what my puffer reacted to and didn't... once i learned what my fahaka liked, i started with those food sources first to put some weight on my girl...

Then once she got to about 2"-3" or after about a month or so of keeping her, started to once again introduce new foods to her...

As for plecos being sitting ducks... while i agree they can be sitting ducks, i'm guessing having them in the same tank while the fahaka is young may also help the puffer somewhat recognize the pleco as a tankmate more so than a snack...

My pleco has been living with my fahaka pretty much since day 1 (or about 5 years now) and the only nipping happens on his fins when he gets too close... So while i know this maybe an isolated case, i do believe having everyone grow up together may help cut down on their aggression a little...but definitely still a risk...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store