New Fahaka Puffer

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I personally was trying different foods per feeding to see what my puffer reacted to and didn't... once i learned what my fahaka liked, i started with those food sources first to put some weight on my girl...

Then once she got to about 2"-3" or after about a month or so of keeping her, started to once again introduce new foods to her...

As for plecos being sitting ducks... while i agree they can be sitting ducks, i'm guessing having them in the same tank while the fahaka is young may also help the puffer somewhat recognize the pleco as a tankmate more so than a snack...

My pleco has been living with my fahaka pretty much since day 1 (or about 5 years now) and the only nipping happens on his fins when he gets too close... So while i know this maybe an isolated case, i do believe having everyone grow up together may help cut down on their aggression a little...but definitely still a risk...
Thank you I checked him a few minutes ago and he was pretty fat. So I'll just use bloodworms for now and occasionally introduce new foods.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Whats the best way to get them to eat something else? Hes about 2" now and hasnt ate anything besides bloodworms..

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
I got a small 2" fahaka at the beginning of last month and started it on bloodworms too. Then I started mixing the bloodworms with mysis shrimp after about two weeks and just this weekend I introduced finely chopped raw shrimp.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I got a small 2" fahaka at the beginning of last month and started it on bloodworms too. Then I started mixing the bloodworms with mysis shrimp after about two weeks and just this weekend I introduced finely chopped raw shrimp.
My guy has started eating krill which is awesome. Finally getting him used to new stuff.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
I would remove the krill from your puffers diet. Krill is not a a healthy option and can lead to health issues.

I would really push the raw shrimp.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I would remove the krill from your puffers diet. Krill is not a a healthy option and can lead to health issues.

I would really push the raw shrimp.
Sounds good. Hes also eating clam meat so the shrimp shouldnt be a problem. He will eat mostly anything besides pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store