New Gar noob.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I trained both my gar to eat massivore without starving them, I didn't and still don't believe in "starving" them into eating pellets, what I did was to feed them what I knew they would eat one day (silver sides, cut up shrimp, or night crawlers) than the next 2 to 3 days I would only offer massivore. After about 2 and a half months they began to eat the massivore. This method might take longer, but I believe that it is much healthy in the long term for the gar this way as opposed to "starving" them into eating or die. Also it helps to have other fish (to large for the gar to consider food) in the tank with the gar so they learn that the pellets are food from watching them eat.

I read, and from my experience, they are more likely to eat pellets or sticks when they reach 10 inches or so.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I have pellet trained many fish. And lost many fish due to starvation. I'm getting the hang of it. But as for your method I will keep it in mind. Is yours a jumper?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I have pellet trained many fish. And lost many fish due to starvation. I'm getting the hang of it. But as for your method I will keep it in mind. Is yours a jumper?

No,I have 2 in a 125g soon to go in a 210g and neither one jump. The bigger of the 2 gets excited when he sees people, he expects food. The smaller one is a little more skittish, but he is definitely getting better the longer I have him. They seem to like each other's company. There is also 2 ornate bichir, 1 rescue red shoulder sevrum, and a breeding pair of pink convicts that are going in a different tank when I move the gar to the 210g.

My gar are 12" and 10", the bichir are 7"&8", the others are full grown.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
No,I have 2 in a 125g soon to go in a 210g and neither one jump. The bigger of the 2 gets excited when he sees people, he expects food. The smaller one is a little more skittish, but he is definitely getting better the longer I have him. They seem to like each other's company. There is also 2 ornate bichir, 1 rescue red shoulder sevrum, and a breeding pair of pink convicts that are going in a different tank when I move the gar to the 210g.

My gar are 12" and 10", the bichir are 7"&8", the others are full grown.

This new gar is about 5-6 inches. I want to put him in my big tank... But I'm afraid it'll get eaten by my oscars...

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
P.S. I need to move the convicts because my gar are becoming aggressive towards them. But not the sevrum or bichir, there still too big to be considered food.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
my gar that ive had many years eats nothing but pellets. he was eating dead fish from the shop when i got him and i cant even remember how i got him to eat pellets its so long ago.

im quite shocked that someone replied that a gar (a natural predator ) wont try to eat a small fish that could potentially fit into its mouth ( a cichlid ). congrats to that person.

fortunately there are some helpful posts here though so ill keep reading with interest and and try and sift through the unhelpful replies in the hope of advancing my own knowledge.

i currently have on small gar that eats anything and one who wont eat anything at all atm as well as one that is years old eating pellets. so it will be interesting to read this thread.
thanks for posting :)

oddballfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
calgary ab canada
my gar that ive had many years eats nothing but pellets. he was eating dead fish from the shop when i got him and i cant even remember how i got him to eat pellets its so long ago.

im quite shocked that someone replied that a gar (a natural predator ) wont try to eat a small fish that could potentially fit into its mouth ( a cichlid ). congrats to that person.

fortunately there are some helpful posts here though so ill keep reading with interest and and try and sift through the unhelpful replies in the hope of advancing my own knowledge.

i currently have on small gar that eats anything and one who wont eat anything at all atm as well as one that is years old eating pellets. so it will be interesting to read this thread.
thanks for posting :)
Agreed my alligator gar is a beast but will eat pellets but if I just feed him pellets he is way too aggressive to keep with the others I'm thinking that cuz he is getting to b a bigger fish

Sent from my LG-E971 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
Bull****. Gars don't pick on cichlids
Mine does a lot during feeding time. it's over 16" long and will bite my jack dempsey, jaguar, and parrot cichlid. He only does if the cichlids are trying to get the gars food but he still takes big chunks of their fins off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store