New Gar noob.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Mine does a lot during feeding time. it's over 16" long and will bite my jack dempsey, jaguar, and parrot cichlid. He only does if the cichlids are trying to get the gars food but he still takes big chunks of their fins off.
What do you feed your gar? It's only been a day but he's not eating pellets yet lol... I gave him 2 roseys yesterday... Not gonna feed him roseys again till Tuesday or so.. I'm doing the non starvation method

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
What do you feed your gar? It's only been a day but he's not eating pellets yet lol... I gave him 2 roseys yesterday... Not gonna feed him roseys again till Tuesday or so.. I'm doing the non starvation method

It might be hard to pellet train at that size, they need to grow to about 10 inches. I read some where about gar care that they need food available at all times when there under 10-12 inches. The first 10-12 inches is there rapid growth stage and they should eat as much as possible and when ever they feel the need too. After 10-12 they start to sexually mature and there"rapid" growth slows down, and they can go without feeding every day.

Mine wouldn't even look at pellets until they got to 10 inches, and I was feeding them like I described in my previous post about pellet training without starving them. I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Don't know why it posted like that, but my post starts on the second paragraph.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Don't know why it posted like that, but my post starts on the second paragraph.

Ah I see... I have other fish in the tank... And I'm not sure if I would like more feeders I. There... But I want the best health for my fish... I suppose I should gutload my feeders... Considering feeders have little to no nutrition...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Here is a picture of my gar eating pellets

uploadfromtaptalk1391418049040.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391418104738.jpg

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio

pellets krill shrimp tilapia and occasional feeders

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I think I'll feed feeders once a week or once every 2 weeks. And feed pellets in between now that I know that my gar has aknowledged pellets as food. I just have to wait I until it's big enough to put in my big tank and hold it's own.

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
I think I'll feed feeders once a week or once every 2 weeks. And feed pellets in between now that I know that my gar has aknowledged pellets as food. I just have to wait I until it's big enough to put in my big tank and hold it's own.

i usually do pellets twice a day, krill shrimp or tilapia every 1-2 days, amd feeders once a every 2-3 months unless it's summer when i catch my own minnows. then it's like every other week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store