New Ray tank arrived today

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
I change something like 30-40% of water a day on my tank, its a lot of water to change but i've read a few places fresh clean water with lots of water changes should keep the fish healthy and help them grow faster. Fish have been in there for a few months and had no ill affect so far on any of the fish.

I might change it down a little if the electricity bill is to high heating the tank but i never notice them lit up so shouldnt be too much of an increase.

As for flow rate i just used a 4 galon bucket, timed it filling it to a certain amount to work out the flow.

I have overflows in the tank that go to the sump and then an overflow in the sump which go's directly into the drain.

wing888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2009
UK
always4lora;4291583; said:
I change something like 30-40% of water a day on my tank, its a lot of water to change but i've read a few places fresh clean water with lots of water changes should keep the fish healthy and help them grow faster. Fish have been in there for a few months and had no ill affect so far on any of the fish.

I might change it down a little if the electricity bill is to high heating the tank but i never notice them lit up so shouldnt be too much of an increase.

As for flow rate i just used a 4 galon bucket, timed it filling it to a certain amount to work out the flow.

I have overflows in the tank that go to the sump and then an overflow in the sump which go's directly into the drain.
With your high water change rates what would be your nitrate readings ?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
mine may well be higher than 5 ppm as i only used a dip stick test stripe and we all know they are not accurate but they were the same stripes that were giving me 150 ppm in the old tank i will test with a proper test kit soon

it could be the polyfilter thats removing some of the nitrates i have no idea

wing888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2009
UK
That's true, nitrate test kits aren't 100% accurate. I only use them as a rough indication of when I need to change more water. As long as we are aware then we can adjust accordingly.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I believe that Salifert are known for accuracy in Nitrate kits. Once you have a level you can use the dip strips to look for changes and then test when you get readings.

I am currently changing about 60 Gals a week but will increase that a little.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just Toby;4292113; said:
I believe that Salifert are known for accuracy in Nitrate kits. Once you have a level you can use the dip strips to look for changes and then test when you get readings.

I am currently changing about 60 Gals a week but will increase that a little.
the water changes depend on so many different things stock levels filtration

the way i used to look at it in my old tank was if the nitrates are high then the filters are handling the amount of fish as the nitrates are the end of the cycle

if you have low stocking levels then i think a 25% WC per week should be plenty

i don't do that many tests as i feel they make you panic i test if something looks wrong only

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
wing888;4291667; said:
With your high water change rates what would be your nitrate readings ?
Very low i'd imagine, never really test it as i know it's not something i need to worry about, i will test later on though when i find the nitrate test kit and spare test tube.

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
always4lora;4292327; said:
Very low i'd imagine, never really test it as i know it's not something i need to worry about, i will test later on though when i find the nitrate test kit and spare test tube.
Nitrates between 5 and 10ppm its hard to tell with api test cards

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I agree with T1 that if you are producing the Nitrate then the filters are handling the waste.

My tank is not highly stocked as the Rays are small and I have about 300gals but as they grow this will change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store