New Ray tank arrived today

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Nice tank Toby.Very modern looking, the black silicone joints always set a tank off too not to mention they don't discolour with age.
Really nice!

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Thanks guys, I am really pleased with it and cant wait to get the Rays in there.

I have been power feeding for 4 days now, my fire Eel is eating a weeks worth of food per day and still no Ammonia or Nitrite, I imagine if it doesnt read any by Monday next week it isnt going to.

FROM PREVIOUS POST:

"the water and crap needs to get into the 1st part of the sump" - why does the crap need to get to first part of the sump? Pond Filters have used pre-filters for years, I am thinking that only the dissolved organic matter needs to be bio filtered out? This is not meant to be argumentative, just interested...I got the design from a copy of my lfs which has recently had a new installation.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
More pics very soon, Rays go in on Saturday....cant wait. I am picking up Sat daytime.

The water is coming up spot on with fairly high PH and less than 10 ppm Nitrate but the Ammonia and Nitrite stays 0 regardless of how much food I pack in...The Fire Eel is loving the food intake!

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
NikkiC;4217883; said:
Good luck with the rays and dont forget to post some pictures :)
Thanks, I will post up some pics.

I have got a large root system from my LFS in Oak and I soaked it for over a week and changed the water daily in a big bucket, it has been in the tank for 2 weeks now and is still leaching despite 2X cannisters full of carbon and a carbon reactor, I have done 3 mini water changes too and it is still leaching! (therefore pics may be a bit brown)

The Oak seems to have softened the water a tiny amount but not dropped the PH at all, I have very hard water here.

NikkiC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
UK
Have you tried pouring boiling water on the root? Maybe difficult if it is a large root but can help speed up the leaching process.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
NikkiC;4220305; said:
Have you tried pouring boiling water on the root? Maybe difficult if it is a large root but can help speed up the leaching process.
Thanks for the tip.

I have got a hot water outside tap for car washing and I was filling with hot water but it is massive (about as big as one person can lift when wet) so I eventually added it to the tank)

Each water change leaves me with clearer water so I hope it will slowly clear based on lots of large water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store