-:+:- New ray with a big problems -:+:-

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
PS. I think it's more likely to be a Castexi x Henlei.. I have heard that alot of asian hybrid ray farms use Female Castexi as their breeders because they produce the most amount of pups, closely followed by Motoro..

AlexG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Hello,

this is Heiko Bleher and I just came back from the Interzoo 2008, where I had a couple of stingray displays. One from Paraguay with the real P. brachyura (only one found in the southern part of South America) and one with to rays from the Trombetas system.
That was no Brachyura, that was a falkneri.
Brachyura is brown with some black markings, the stingray in your display was black/yellow spotted. And there are more then one found there is one in Germany too. And a few in Japan/Taiwan.
The Stingrays in the Trombetas display where from everywhere but not from brazil, or how did u get them out of brazil?
They were a Motoro male (could be from everywhere) and the other looked like some of these sp. rays from Paraguay.

voodoochild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2008
Thailand
I heard from another breeder in my country about this kind of my ray. They use Male Leopoldi + SP (One type of ray mix from many kind of ray like pearl ray,Castexi or Motoro). So I don't know this can trust or not but I love its so much.

nickdog98

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
New Orleans LA
Nice ray.. Without DNA we could all talk until we are blue in the face and gather nothing but a lot of inferences, possibilities, and opinions. I think we need to implement some sort of registery system, at least for the CB pups, to keep everything straight. I know I wouldnt mind having a certificate telling me if the parents were wild caught or CB, and where they were bred/collected, with how many pups previously produced.
Ahhh.. Stingray pedigrees.. would be nice but will probably never happen.

StefanW

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Germany
Hi,

for sure one of the usual hybrids, which are "produced" in very high numbers in thailands ponds.........noone seems to know the exact ancestors, not even mom or dad ;) These rays are often offered as Mantillas, cause they look very similar to the "real" wildcaught Mantillas and of course Mantilla sells much better than "Anything, which noone exactly knows.......!"

Regards
Stefan

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
StefanW;1840070; said:
Hi,

for sure one of the usual hybrids, which are "produced" in very high numbers in thailands ponds.........noone seems to know the exact ancestors, not even mom or dad ;) These rays are often offered as Mantillas, cause they look very similar to the "real" wildcaught Mantillas and of course Mantilla sells much better than "Anything, which noone exactly knows.......!"

Regards
Stefan
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Good point. I love the idea of hybrids, but it does seem like a rather risky business. It seems rather apparent that importers have a big incentive to slap fabricated genealogies on them, and no reason not to. I wonder what kind of financial impact that has on the honest breeders who mate genuine rays to produce knowable hybrids. :screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store