New Retic eating but not growing???

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
My retic hasn't really put on size in the 3-4 weeks I've had her also. The only noticeable increase was in the girth on her tail.

Mines about the same size 4-5" Dia disc but she'll slam food that's even to big to swallow. Full size frozen krill she'll sit there for an hour and gum and drag that krill until it falls apart.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
My retic hasn't really put on size in the 3-4 weeks I've had her also. The only noticeable increase was in the girth on her tail.

Mines about the same size 4-5" Dia disc but she'll slam food that's even to big to swallow. Full size frozen krill she'll sit there for an hour and gum and drag that krill until it falls apart.
If her tail is growing in girth that's a good sign

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Then I am on the right track! Hopefully OP can notice some increase in thickness on his rays tail as well.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
if the original owner had it over a year, and you've had it for 3 months I would think the ray would be in worse shape if parasites were a big issue. I would agree to getting it on some other foods in addition to mysis. Try worms like red wrigglers, available online or at bait/tackle shops or Wal-Mart. You can try nightcrawlers, but be sure to cut them into tiny pieces. A 5" retic has a small mouth.

beantickler

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
~Pittsburgh~
if the original owner had it over a year, and you've had it for 3 months I would think the ray would be in worse shape if parasites were a big issue. I would agree to getting it on some other foods in addition to mysis. Try worms like red wrigglers, available online or at bait/tackle shops or Wal-Mart. You can try nightcrawlers, but be sure to cut them into tiny pieces. A 5" retic has a small mouth.
My thoughts exactly... The ray is thick... Im gonna post pics now... I passed out early last night.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Nice looking retic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store