New silver arowana

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Vincentii;3761007; said:
didnt hear it. just from experience.because ive been bought up with arowana's. dad had them.my uncles and cousins.
its also a fact that when you over feed pellets to silver arowana's that they get drop eye later on in life (that and over feeding).
theres probably threads on mfk posted bt experienced arowana enthusiasts that say the same thing.

pellets are okay as a staple. just dont over feed them on the stuff.
Or probably not.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Vincentii;3761007; said:
didnt hear it. just from experience.because ive been bought up with arowana's. dad had them.my uncles and cousins.
its also a fact that when you over feed pellets to silver arowana's that they get drop eye later on in life (that and over feeding).
theres probably threads on mfk posted bt experienced arowana enthusiasts that say the same thing.

So why do wild aros get DE as well if they do not have any possibility of even seeing a pellet? I doubt they would even be able to over feed themselves. Not much of a fact anymore is it? Also why is it that some of my aros don't have DE even after a couple years of daily pellet feedings?

Vincentii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2009
London, U.K
all silver arowanas in the wild gets drop eye too. but not as serious or as noticable as those arowanas kept as pets.
anyway, i didnt say it was bad to feed arowanas pellets. just said dont over-feed them on the stuff.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Vincentii;3761054; said:
all silver arowanas in the wild gets drop eye too. but not as serious or as noticable as those arowanas kept as pets.
anyway, i didnt say it was bad to feed arowanas pellets. just said dont over-feed them on the stuff.
Vincentii;3760913; said:
dry food is bad for them.
You just said dry food is bad. Pellets are dry food, so they should be bad too. But mainly, my questions still revolve around the DE. So are you saying silvers naturally get DE? If so, doesn't what you just said already provide an explanation as to how they get DE? Where does pellets or "fat buildup" come into play? And if it was becuase of pellets, why were most of my previous asian aros that have been fed with pellets and stick from day 1 not have DE? As for your previous post, actually no, theres rarely any threads from "experienced" arowana keepers that suggest fat deposits as a cause of DE.

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
Vincentii;3761007; said:

whhhhaaaaaaaattttttt??????:ROFL::ROFL:

anhtu402

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
Lincoln, NE
Weird.... This is a first I've heard of this type of feeding. I've been reading and researching for more than half a year, haven't heard what Vincentii have been saying.

livingart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
tigrey;3760837; said:
i just bought my 2 inch baby silver arowana. He looks like hes in pretty good shape just stressing right now. i just wanted to see how many times a day i should feed him. how soon will he start eating floating sticks? i will take some pictures when he settles in a little more.
hi tigrey, good to hear you have an aro, amazing fish
feef it a varied diet of different live , dead and dry foods
some will get dropeye some won't
good luck with your fish

Dillingerescaped

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
United States
after reading hundreds of postings on drop eye, I think its safe to say there is no absolute preventative measure, nor is there anything set in stone that says if you do this your aro will get drop eye.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
At two inches your aro is just of it's yok sack. It's pallet is still soft and needs to be fed soft foods. Freeze dried blood worms are soft and float for a while which makes them ideal. If your little aro is eating well you can try a variety of frozen foods also. Once it is 3-3.5" start feeding a quality pellet or food stick, I found it works best to use larger and break them up instead of using the smaller pellets.

Once your aro is on pellets you can then start feeding a wide variety of items. There is a good section on feeding in the arowana care sticky. Unfortunately you will have to dig for it, since all the arowana care stickies have been combined into one big mess of a sticky :screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store