New spotted gar~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Sorry double post but is there anything I should look for in particular when I go and choose one from my Lfs? Do I look for spot patterns? Or just body shape and size?

Thanks

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Sorry double post but is there anything I should look for in particular when I go and choose one from my Lfs? Do I look for spot patterns? Or just body shape and size?

Thanks
what do you mean? like how to ID whether the fish is spotted gar or Florida gar?

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Yeah as in is there anything I need to look for in a "nice" gar~
Also how do i tell the difference between a gar or a pike characin? I saw the spotted pike characins before and they look really familiar...

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Yeah as in is there anything I need to look for in a "nice" gar~
Also how do i tell the difference between a gar or a pike characin? I saw the spotted pike characins before and they look really familiar...
I don't see that it is hard to see the different between gar and pikes, the only thing that is very hard is to see a gar is Florida or spotted gar. Gar species http://lepisosteidae.net/index_files/Page1134.htm

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Just got the gars today! looking rather pale but rather silvery ha!

will post pics as soon as they settle

SamRoz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
NY
You want advice, however, several experienced gar keepers gave you advice and you promptly dismissed it. Maybe you should return the gar and get another pike characin.

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
So what was the point of your post ? I don't feed feeders for a reason and I was jus wondering whether it's better to go pellet first or other lives.
Really don't know what to say to your post, so your trying to say whatever is said I have to do? I took the advice in and decided for personal reasons I will not feed live.
So all gar owners that dont like feeding live should all sell?
Pointless and provocative post.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SamRoz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
NY
Advice:
Based on your location, it's a Florida gar in all likelihood. At that size, you're going to want to keep it on live food; wait until it hits about 20-26 cm before trying to switch it to pellets. As for your tankmates, the flagtail is a bad idea because it may suck on the gar's slime coat, and the pike characin will become gar food eventually because of the adult size difference.
Make sure the Gar has many hiding spots for the first week or so while it aclimates..... And I would wait a while before getting it off feeders
When they are that small though they should have constant access to live feeders.... its good for them to fatten up when young.
OP's responses:
Never fed feeders and don't think I will feed feeders :p
Its either morio/crickets or go straight for prawn/pellet...
Just thinking whether it would be easier since the temp tank all mash pellets so...
hmmm, I guess I'll see how it goes!
Im hoping to pump it to around 10 inch as fast as possible!
so massivores seems to be the way to go for me =)
Yeah the tank mates shouldn't be problem ! Flag is really small too, just a grow out tank! Once he hits a slightly bigger size I'll be moving him into a bigger tank !
Just that feeders aren't the thing I'll normally feed so i guess the closest thing is cricket, morio and night crawlers !
Looks pretty obvious, my point was valid.

Either way, good luck with your new fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store