New spotted gar~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
You want advice, however, several experienced gar keepers gave you advice and you promptly dismissed it. Maybe you should return the gar and get another pike characin.
This!!

Listen to the keepers that know what they are doing. You obviously dont.

Too small to be trying to convert off live. Wrong tankmates. Wont listen to advice.

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Hmmm all I said was I don't want to feed lives, I asked if it was better to try worms and crickets first.
Oh and the funny thing is, both my gars are now happily eating massivores, but maybe I should still sell them since I'm an inadequate gar keeper right?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ampthefrogguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Between a Rock and a Hard Place...
Small gars NEED to have access to food 24 hours a day. Its the way they are hard wired. You should feed live until at LEAST 8inches long. For the health and growth of the fish...

but you can do what you want. They are yours. We are just telling you the correct and best way to raise young gar.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Hmmm all I said was I don't want to feed lives, I asked if it was better to try worms and crickets first.
Oh and the funny thing is, both my gars are now happily eating massivores, but maybe I should still sell them since I'm an inadequate gar keeper right?

If they are still with the same tankmates then yes you still are and still should sell em.

And you got lucky with them eatting pellets or are lying.

Ps, they need food constatly at a small size, something difficult to do with pellets

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Hahaha "NEED" sure :)
Until I see proof that feeders is better than a variety of pellets + mp I still think that NO fish NEEDS live food. So i'm guessing most of the keepers on MFK who feed their fish pellets/mp etc. are all doing it wrong ? as they need feeders for growth and health.
Predator fish does not mean they NEED live food.
That's like saying humans will not live healthily if they don't eat meat. Ignorant.
As for the tankmates? they are all same size (and slightly smaller than the gar), I did not just throw them all and leave it, I had alternative plans for the Gars if there was any problems with aggression. The reason why they took pellets so quick? Because other tankmates are dashing for the pellets letting the Gars know that the pellets IS food and getting them going.
You could say it's luck but I kept the characin's in there for a reason. And so far the whole tank is getting along fine, no nipped fins or any dominance at all.

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Omg "need live food" hahaha funniest thing I heard in my life! Maybe someone should start a poll as to whether fish "NEED" live food! I'm sure majority of mfk people feed there predators meat and pellets of all kinds so maybe you guys should announce to the forum that they are wrong and should start feeding live!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I had a 6" spotted gar which was an alligstor gar, the thing grew 6" in ONE MONTH! No joke, then i gave him away to a 300gallon tank and it bit the guy!! They actually breath air and it will kill all your fish, i have a pike charcin and a couple other fish you have, they grow alot slower so be prepared to figure out allternate housing in a month or two. Goodluck

6 rbp

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
The need live food is refering to needing food constantly at thier size. I almost never feed any of mine feeders but mine are far larger than yours. InreGARd to the tank mates you will likly have issues. Your gar if feed properly will quickly dwarf the others and eat them. Of course if slime sucking occurs you wont make it to that point. I luv how your attitude. Your twisting everyones words. Stop. There are multiple people who have gave you advise who gave you advise and are FAR more knowledgable on gar than you. Listen.

And if you gar thinks it can eat any of your fish you wont have a chance to seperate. Any slime sucking occurs and 90% chance you wont be able to seperate fast enough.

Ill see you in a few weeks when you have issues. Of course ill doubt you post because youll want to prove us wrong and show you know everything.

Two of the above 3 posts are why mfk going down hill fast. Wont listen or take crap completely out of context.

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Ill see you in a few weeks when you have issues. Of course ill doubt you post because youll want to prove us wrong and show you know everything.
Beautiful, I thought we all like fish? Guess not :)
It's people like you that is causing MFK to go down hill. The thread was perfectly fine until you and some other guy decided to comment and flame. Re-read your comment, I did not twist anyones word.
Also did you not read the posts before you started flaming? I said it is a grow out tank? I will move them as soon as they get slightly bigger.
Did I say something bad to the people that actually gave me advice? No.
I took the advice in and decided what is best for my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store