New Stingray Home (600g)

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Oh boy that thing is a perfect ray tank. Yeah good luck on moving it in the basement, at least it is not glass. I see more rays in your future and do not play like you won't buy more. You will put all your rays in that big tank and the first thing you will say is "man this thing looks empty" :)

As far as the bottom try to match a color whether it be tan or gray to match the color of the sand you are putting in the tank. That way when the rays push the sand around the bottom is atleast the same color. You could even do a speckled look. Get a spray can of the darker color in the sand and mist the bottom of the tank then paint it with a latex or a heavy coat of spray paint of the lighter color to mimic the sand look. Just a thought

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Oh boy that thing is a perfect ray tank. Yeah good luck on moving it in the basement, at least it is not glass. I see more rays in your future and do not play like you won't buy more. You will put all your rays in that big tank and the first thing you will say is "man this thing looks empty" :)
HaHa, no more. It wont look empty for to long after I move the rays in there. Have three Armatus grow outs to fill the emptiness.

We can get it in the basement but I probably am going to have to empty the 340 and slide it over 2 feet since it is right where I will make the turn. Then move the 600 down and 340 back over.

Honestly I am still up in the air with substrate, I want it but this thing is so clean I am afraid to let it get scratched up. LOL. I am leaning towards a medium gray or charcoal gray. Dont really want a black back and bottom. I do like the two tone idea.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Those lifting straps will help a ton!

I remember the first time i lowered my 450 gallon into the basement it took 4 guys about 20 min to slide it down the steps. With the straps we just walked them right down

It is going to be a great sight when u get it set up!

It also sounds like bio reactor time?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
How I did the background was everywhere it is black I had masking tape, just layed it down, twisted it, and used small slivers. I painted copper first then painted over with bronze. I pulled the tape up and painted black. The whole thing took about 3 hours.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Those lifting straps will help a ton!

I remember the first time i lowered my 450 gallon into the basement it took 4 guys about 20 min to slide it down the steps. With the straps we just walked them right down

It is going to be a great sight when u get it set up!

It also sounds like bio reactor time?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Probably do the reactor although I am restricted in that this will be display in my family room and must be quiet. So will the quietest pumps, (water and air). And will have to be part of the sump design. As I dont want plumbing and extra tubs or anything around.

How I did the background was everywhere it is black I had masking tape, just layed it down, twisted it, and used small slivers. I painted copper first then painted over with bronze. I pulled the tape up and painted black. The whole thing took about 3 hours.
Thanks for the ideas Mike, I am leaning towards a grey mottled look using two colors. A darker grey sprayed (misted) on and then a lighter grey rolled on after. That or just buy a grey piece of felt to lay over foam and set the tank right on top of it. Thus not changing.

Congrats on pickup. An sweat tank an well worth the trip
Thanks

Perfect tank for rays.... How thick is the acrylic?
Thanks, its 3/4"

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'd go blue paint..... Best compromise for Marbles and Blackies....... And Yellow rays. ;)

I'd definitely use paint over just laying something down. I used black background under mine and you really can't even tell it's there, and looks all screwed up when you dribble water.

IF all the rays are going in does that mean using a divider in the future? Best time to incorporate them is before water ;) I glued a few strips to the bottom of my tank to help hold it (the one thing I actually remembered to do before filling lol)

The reactor would be easy to incorporate into the sump, just use a tank/vessel inside the sump. But they're so fun to stare at, I'll never hide mine, watch them almost as much as the fish. :grinno:

Man, if you can't tell, I'm really excited for you..... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store