New Stingray Home (600g)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I'd go blue paint..... Best compromise for Marbles and Blackies....... And Yellow rays. ;)

I'd definitely use paint over just laying something down. I used black background under mine and you really can't even tell it's there, and looks all screwed up when you dribble water.

IF all the rays are going in does that mean using a divider in the future? Best time to incorporate them is before water ;) I glued a few strips to the bottom of my tank to help hold it (the one thing I actually remembered to do before filling lol)

The reactor would be easy to incorporate into the sump, just use a tank/vessel inside the sump. But they're so fun to stare at, I'll never hide mine, watch them almost as much as the fish. :grinno:

Man, if you can't tell, I'm really excited for you..... :)
Probably will paint it, but definitely not blue. Only blue I like or wear is blue jeans. :)
My marbles color and patterns do really well on this grey/charcoal sand so that is why I am leaning that way.

As for dividers, I dont think I could get big enough egg crating in the openings to even put one in. How do you do yours. Dont think I can bring myself to glueing pieces in there.:(
The silent setup is a compromise with the wife so I could put another LARGER tank in there. My 340 is in there at the other end of family room and still pretty noisy with the mag 24 and luft pump. This one will be right by the seating area.

Saweet tank!

So jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks Mike. This tank probably wasnt all that far from you....;)

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
The ideal for noise control would be to put filtration in another room and get large enough pumps to compensate for the added head pressure.

What color you doing the background? You keeping the 340 running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
The pieces I glued in were only 1/4". Hardly ever see them with sand in there.

Last divider I made was pvc and gutter gaurd. Hard to believe but mine will fit in through one of the openings. It's a fanagel but it goes.

As far as quiet, pretty much any external pump Dart size and under is going to be really quiet. Air pump wise it's easy to find something much more powerful AND quieter then the lufts. My Ponmaster AP 100 makes less noise then my luft that runs the bubble disks. You could even get crazy with the overflows, get a gate valve and run a full siphon style overflow and it would be crazy quiet...... I've never ran one, but there's plenty of people here on the forum that do....

I can understand not wanting to glue/modify that tank, it's like new. I wouldn't want to either....... In a way I'm kind of glad I don't have tanks that nice, makes it all the more easier to hack them up..... lol.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
The ideal for noise control would be to put filtration in another room and get large enough pumps to compensate for the added head pressure.

What color you doing the background? You keeping the 340 running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Looking into the Laguna 4200 pond pumps, I hear they are very quiet. My basement is completely finished and in use so converting one to a pump room or filter room isnt happening. Same with a drip, would have to run drain lines and plumbing across floor or alomg walls. Will stick to the old drain and fill water change method.

Biggest noise concerns are the pumps, I/we dont mind water splashing from the overflows.

Not doing anything with the black background.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I can understand not wanting to glue/modify that tank, it's like new. I wouldn't want to either....... In a way I'm kind of glad I don't have tanks that nice, makes it all the more easier to hack them up..... lol.
You and I are more mechanical fish keepers where Don is more of a fancy visually pleasing type of guy :)

Tank is so pretty I did not even notice the background was black

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
What can I say, I am very visual. Just ask the wife :ROFL:

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
You and I are more mechanical fish keepers where Don is more of a fancy visually pleasing type of guy :)

Tank is so pretty I did not even notice the background was black
I'm used to buying cheap wrecked tanks set up to flow 30% what I feel is adequate. Ever seen the movie one crazy summer? I feel exactly like those guys did when they stole Teddys Vette. Giggling like a little kid, grinder in hand, goggles on, pulling the garage door down ready to go cut something up. Not a single tank in my place that's not hacked up. :(

Don, I remember seeing Exoticfishguy has a brand new spare Wlim pump sitting..... Might be worth looking into.... Quick look at the Laguna would steer me clear, but that's just me...... I have a spare Dart here, I think there's better motors out there then the AO Smiths (like what the Wlim uses) but don't have a ton of $ into it either, and it 's in great shape, more then welcome to test drive it if you'd like, get an idea how loud it is......

You could get a reactor into the sump without even knowing it was even in there. Just pick up a smaller acrylic tank and set it inside the sump, feed with a little pump or loop off the main return pump. No extra unsightly pluming.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
that is a piece of art right there!!! mind if I ask the price? just to rub it in all the rest of us. btw, go buy your wife a spa day for even letting you bring that to the house, and keeping your man parts:WHOA:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store