new to dats, looking for help in the selection process

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
And they do well with polys as dats are mid to top swimmers. And tbh they arent agressive to big fish, but they will hover up any small fish. I found that out the hard way, watching a 3" dat suck up 4 2.5" corydoras was quite something!

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Really excited about finding some of these guys. They are truly beautiful fish~!
This is what a lot of new tiger keepers think
They see stunning pics of tigers with great colour with great stripes

The truth of the matter is this isn't always the case most new purchases are dull and washed out and many new keepers give up with them after a few months of having tigers they never see or only see when they dart out to grab a bit of food

I feel if you just get one you really like and stick with it then after time it will swim around happy not having to defend its spot

You need to give them time sometimes as long as 18 months if your not willing to give them time don't get any

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV

The truth of the matter is this isn't always the case most new purchases are dull and washed out and many new keepers give up with them after a few months of having tigers they never see or only see when they dart out to grab a bit of food

I feel if you just get one you really like and stick with it then after time it will swim around happy not having to defend its spot

You need to give them time sometimes as long as 18 months if your not willing to give them time don't get any

Sad but very true. Great advice

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Dats are a long term investment. They take ages to get big, but theres nothing like a 12"+ chunky dat patrolling a big tank, its even better as a group.

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
I have one about 10" in a brackish tank with 2 Columbian shark cats, 2 scats and 3 mono sebae. My Dat doesn't seem to even notice them. He hangs out in the shadows a lot and lumbers out to snatch food with that trigger mouth any time I feed. There are also two 2" dats I the same tank but sectioned off while they grow out. He is a pick of my big fork bar.
image.jpg

image.jpg

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Dats are a long term investment. They take ages to get big, but theres nothing like a 12"+ chunky dat patrolling a big tank, its even better as a group.

If I ever saw a group work, I would agree with you..but yes there's nothing like a fat big dat patrolling a tank

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Possibly adding a Cichla orinocensis ‘Rio,' in the 8" range, but the datnoids are my first choice if these fish are not as compatible as I have read.
Thanks!
If you can avoid the Orinoco peacock bass please do so, because it will get aggressive, territorial and beat up the datnoids over time. (I've tried several times)

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta

I can confirm this. I grown a 2" 3bar Indo that was always unstable and timid, now its 12" and is the biggest dat in the tank and its stable 80% of the time. Very glad I didnt sell it, My Dat Boss now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have one about 10" in a brackish tank with 2 Columbian shark cats, 2 scats and 3 mono sebae.
How long have you had this dat in brackish water and do you intend to put the other two in brackish as well ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store