new to dats, looking for help in the selection process

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
3" is too small to be hanging around with large polypterus...

The 9.5" Lapradei will probably maul the 3" datnoids.
Ive been told that they ought to be fine together, and that it is unlikely the dats will fit in her mouth due to height. I have plenty of tanks, at any rate.

Polys dont "maul" anything per se. They either eat things whole or ignore them. Every so often they snap at one another on accident. They definitely cant eat my 4" clown loaches.

Happy turkey day!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Polys dont "maul" anything per se. They either eat things whole or ignore them. Every so often they snap at one another on accident. They definitely cant eat my 4" clown loaches.

Happy turkey day!
Happy thanksgiving!

Well, it can happen, just be cautious! In my case it was an Endii doing it to a Teug!!! >.<" You can see the Endii is too small to swallow the Teug in whole.

In the end, it was swallowed by a much larger Lapradei (not in pic)

1336.jpg

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Thanks for all the advice guys! So dats tend to hide out a fair amount? Ibwas hoping that they would be the "swimmers" in my tank. Regardless, I am going to give them a shot. I am either buying 5, 3" indos, or 1 7" ngt. Any advice there? Pros/cons?
I'd go for the ngt. Pro for that choice is just having a single dat which I believe you will enjoy. He should swim like you want and you prob won't deal with a hiding dat unless something else in the tank is making him do it. Or instead of buying five indos, wait till you find the single indo look of your choice and experience the same awesomeness without lagging stunted dats involved and the sometimes pain in the arse chore of rehoming

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store