New to fronts.

GreenTerror3003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Utah
I never said I wouldn't specify. I just said that its not an technically a cross breed and wouldn't have to be specified. I being a nice guy would tell people. But do I have to with a non hybrid? Nope. Either way its doubtful any front enthusiast would purchase a sexy Red Panda Front

Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
From a simple standpoint, even though they are the same genus and species, consider Jack Dempseys and Electric Blue Jack Dempseys; a person should not morally sell an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey with the label of Jack Dempsey just because it is not necessarily a hybrid. While the consumer should be knowledgable about what he or she is purchasing, the supplier still should accurately portray the fish he or she is selling correctly and most importantly accurately. For example, this seems obvious but the opposite is true too with the previous example; a person should not sell a Jack Dempsey as an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey OR Blue Gene Jack Dempsey. The same is true for White Saum Green Terrors and Gold Saum Green Terrors, even though really they are more of a variant. I understand what you are mentioning about the same genus and species, and even though it might not be a hybrid or crossing species, in a way they are still crossed though. The whole concept is basically selective evolution.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

swk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2009
Sonoma county
Barf...

Most tanganyikan keepers want there fish as they would be found in the wild. In this respect, most of us border on obsessive. You'll find a quicker return on your investment if you stick to a quality tanz or Zaire varient and sell pure, un-dicked up looking fish. I personally find those line bred fronts to be a horrible thing when the wild type is so nice looking.

To each their own, but for myself and all my tang keeping buddies, we would never touch a fish like those

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Barf...

Most tanganyikan keepers want there fish as they would be found in the wild. In this respect, most of us border on obsessive. You'll find a quicker return on your investment if you stick to a quality tanz or Zaire varient and sell pure, un-dicked up looking fish. I personally find those line bred fronts to be a horrible thing when the wild type is so nice looking.

To each their own, but for myself and all my tang keeping buddies, we would never touch a fish like those
x2! Why screw with a fish that already looks great? And especially screwing with it so that (in the red front case) the colors are LESS intense and beautiful?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
The only reason why I want to do it is so that my tank be more interesting looking. So many people have Tanzis and Zaires that from my perspective all look the same. So uniform and boring imho.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
If that is how you feel about Fronts, then you have know business keeping them and should probably pick a different species. Maybe you can understand this about your breeding plans it would be like you having a child with a close relative. Not only is it immoral but you can expect that child to have birth defects and numerous health problems. So to mess with the color pattern of a fish for your entertainment you are going to take a fish with a 25 year life span and shorten it considerably.

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
If that is how you feel about Fronts, then you have know business keeping them and should probably pick a different species. Maybe you can understand this about your breeding plans it would be like you having a child with a close relative. Not only is it immoral but you can expect that child to have birth defects and numerous health problems. So to mess with the color pattern of a fish for your entertainment you are going to take a fish with a 25 year life span and shorten it considerably.
I agree. Not trying to discourage you from fronts, but i can't say I support the breeding of reds and black widows.

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
Welli wouldn't truly linebreed them. So I would probably grab up 4 unrelated BW males and then a pair of red females for each male... Ideally each pair of females would be from different sources, so it would be less Likely they'd be related. I could then put them in trios consisting of 1 BW male and 2 red females. Then take fry from trio "a" and breed them to fry from trio "b" then breed "c" with "d" then fry from "ab" with males "c" and "d" also "cd" fry with males "a" and "b" then there would be no related fry until I do fry "abc" x cda" etc.

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Welli wouldn't truly linebreed them. So I would probably grab up 4 unrelated BW males and then a pair of red females for each male... Ideally each pair of females would be from different sources, so it would be less Likely they'd be related. I could then put them in trios consisting of 1 BW male and 2 red females. Then take fry from trio "a" and breed them to fry from trio "b" then breed "c" with "d" then fry from "ab" with males "c" and "d" also "cd" fry with males "a" and "b" then there would be no related fry until I do fry "abc" x cda" etc.

Still don't like the reds and widows but this plan is much better than the first.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
That is the best way to go about it if you are going to breed them. If you are serious about it then great, I will look for your progress over the next 5 years or so. Keep us posted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store