New Tropical Pond

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
This thread let me with my jaw hanging open for the most part. I wish my wife would agree to a 1000 gallon pond, for her to agree to this I'd have to buy her, her own house.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
I like the AC corner a lot.

It is amazing how much water boulders and gravel can wick through evap.

Rays of Sunshine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2010
Georgia
www.youtube.com
Thank you for planting my favorite plants(bromeliads, heliconias). I was wondering if you would plant anthiriums in your garden and pond areas too.

I also have another suggestion for your bog area and around the pools and ponds, various carnivorous plants. They are very unique and mind blowing with their abilities. Many of them bloom flowers too.

These are various the blooms of the anthurium plant. These plants will bloom continously in your garden because of your tropical environment. As you can see there are various colors.

Here are some of the carnivorous plants:

The Nepenthes- This is the Very well known and sought after-Nepenthes bicalcarata-Your son and daughter may appreciate too. Here is a link to a grower of Nepenthes and you can select which one you like the best.http://www.borneoexotics.com/ They also have retailers you can buy from.

Here are some of the many carnivorous plants and their are pure aquatic species too like the bladderwort(They help with fish and insect population control, they get sucked into the traps similar to catfish sucking in prey)

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/gallery/gallerymain.html

Also the Alocasia Amazonica plant with the dark leaves and white/mint green veins would be great too. It has a burgandy color on the back. They will get huge in your area. They will grow more in a round bush form and get taller too.

Here is photo of a smaller plant front and back pics:

Here is a link with more varieties of the Alocasia plant even giant forms.

http://mgonline.com/articles/alocasia.aspx

If you would like a few more suggestions, let me know.

tuggerd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
Costa Rica
Wow! Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I'll take you up on that. Here are the latest photos of my kids enjoying the pool. You can see the cichlid, under water rock wall in the corner. I think it turned out pretty good. I should have made one in the other corner. I think I have the leaks about under control. My knuckle head workers left some leaks in the main light hole and the tubing. I plugged them both up and the water levels seems to be holder better. I don't know if you all notice but I died the bottom with blue food coloring to give the "now lightened bottom" a little more color. The little darker color should bring out the fish colors out a bit. I still haven't put any fish in yet. I want the filter to mature a little more this time.

IMG_1079.JPG

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Cool rope swing! That is a dream pool/pond. How are the cichla doin for ya? Man a pool full of cichla and aro's would be a sight to see :)

tuggerd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
Costa Rica
I have to add that the pond armor is super easy to clean the algae off of. I can do it with a soft sponge now. What a relief. And its not slippery.

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
one of the most epic thread i've read, most awesome home and yard i've seen!!

treldib

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Such an amazing thread...I just spent the afternoon reading it all lol. I'm new....can you subscribe to a thread? How?

PS: Get some CA & SA Cichlids in there too. Some of them are brilliantly colored.

Rays of Sunshine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2010
Georgia
www.youtube.com
I don't know if you have the hanging heliconia. It comes in many varieties of colors and there is one the is covered in white like fur too! Here are some pics:

Variety that has extra fuzz:

I almost forgot one of favorite also: The beehive ginger, the bloom has a salt and pepper smell and of a ginger smell too. They come in a variety of colors. It blooms small white/purple/yellow flowers that remind of orchids.
Here is a closeup of one with blooms.

Here is the rattlesnake plant. The bloom looks like the tail of a rattlesnake. It also has smaller blooms:

The wonderful calathea family...beautiful leaves and bloom too...look up the name and see the variety...

Your home has the perfect climate for most of the unique, intriguing, colorful and beautiful plants!!

Jan 7, 2011
Washington
That is amazing... I would love to live in an area where I could do a tropical outdoor build someday

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store