Newbie to Marine

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Haha give me a chance Ash... Rome wasnt built in a day!

Im ordering tonight:

- Phosban Reactor with Media and pump
- Eheim compact 3000 return pump
- Salt
- Refracometer
- Thermometer
- 200w Jager heater

:)

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Exactly the same with my light unit - should get mine next Friday!! :(

I hate waiting im so impatient lol!

Phosban reactor 150, pump and media arrived today :)

Still waiting on razor, eheim compact 3000, live sand, DD refractometer, test kits, digi thermometer, refugi light, salt :(

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
That's a real odd tank size and probably one of the worst dimesions for a saltwater tank I've ever heard of. You got like no length for swimming lanes or LR, no width for 65lbs of LR and your tanks really deep meaning you Reef Lighting would have to be as intense as one sold for a 180 gal inorder to grow corals. Sorry - not wanting' to be negative on ya it's just the way it really is.

Although @ 65gal you could do 1 small Tang. "Dory" Hippo Blue Tang is out of the question but perhaps a really pissed off Mimic or Bristlenose. And I do mean they'd be pissed off with no room to swim but up and down. Your more than likely lookin' at reef fish 5-6" or smaller - 1 Dwarf Angel or a Tomato Clown might be the largest.

Saltwater is nothing like Fresh- large volume w/c's are a big NO NO making Nitrate control different. Saltwater is loaded with all kinds of elemental stuff large swings in this stuff spells disaster for marine life. Think like 10-20% of premixed preheated water a week. Daily Tops are mandatory with freshwater only. These daily's help keep all the elemental stuff stable. Your primary Nitrate control will be biological - LR and a DSB. Cheatomorpha in a fuge, Skimmers, Reef Carbon-P, Purigen and Chem-pure elite will all help control Nitrates. It's real easy in SW for Nitrates to get 40ppm or more very quickly - when this occurs fish disease from hell can and will occur.

UV sterelizers aren't really recommended for SW Reefs because it destroys the corals planktonic food source in the water column. With GFO reactors you want a 100gph flow no more no less - more flow GFO won't work, less flow the reactor will lose it's prime. With your 2ft of depth your probably lookin' @ 4 in tank powerheads with a total flow rated a minimum of 10x the size of the tank volume- 650gph.

Once again not tryin' to be discouraging just lettin' you know in advance what your dealin' with for success. Best of Luck - keep us posted.

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
Otherone, I dont appreciate your tone Im more than aware of the challenges facing me and as everything else I do I will succed to keep a healthy Reef. The tank was sold to me custom made for marines by a leading manufacturer of aquariums in the uk! I have read many threads with tanks which have similar dimensions and all of these are flourishing. The lighting I have ordered has adequete PAR ratings at a depth of 24" and the 2x powerheads turn over 3000l/ph each. I have more than enough room to house 25KG (55lb) of LR and with the addition of 15KG Live Sand I will have no issues. If my fish out grow I will buy a bigger tank!

If I wanted a 'SLAG ME OFF' thread I'd have asked for one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store