NILE PERCH

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Given time the nile perch will almost certainly eat the bichir, probably not until it is about twice as big though. They will also eat ducks, and at least in one case, a small dog.

MANGCH1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
???
Given time the nile perch will almost certainly eat the bichir, probably not until it is about twice as big though. They will also eat ducks, and at least in one case, a small dog.
lol. a small dog?? i would love to see that :ROFL:

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't say that for sure.

Mines are kept with small fishes that they could certainly eat, but they don't. Simply because I keep them well fed and their tankmates aren't viewed as food. However, if I try to introduce small fishes of the same size as the small tankmates, the perches will eat them.

It's almost as though they get to know their tankmates...

MANGCH1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
???
hey ming. you think i should get more niles? or mix them up with something else? looking to add a fish or two to his tank.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
don't worry. the secret in getting a shy fish to become more sociable is to get the fishes to know the fact that your presence means food is coming.

that's the hardest part but once that's done, you're in good shape.

you have to remember that these are not cultured fishes from farms. they are wild and their natural instinct tells them to hide from large "predators".

when I first got my 3 niles, these will hide under the heater all day long and wouldn't eat anything but feeders.

but after I trained to them eat from my hand, they became as active as your average cichlid.

MANGCH1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
???
lol mine stays under the heater all day!!!

T

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Fish Island
if u give it to someone with datnoids. give it to me instead hahah ill take care of it.

MANGCH1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
???
don't worry. the secret in getting a shy fish to become more sociable is to get the fishes to know the fact that your presence means food is coming.

that's the hardest part but once that's done, you're in good shape.

you have to remember that these are not cultured fishes from farms. they are wild and their natural instinct tells them to hide from large "predators".

when I first got my 3 niles, these will hide under the heater all day long and wouldn't eat anything but feeders.

but after I trained to them eat from my hand, they became as active as your average cichlid.
what are your nile perches eatting?? did you get them to eat anything besides live food? how long did it take?

LA213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2006
Los Angeles
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store