Nitrite Issue

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
Hi all

Just looking for some answers to an issue I been dealing with for awhile now. I got the tank back in November, tank was previously set up for a full year. When I purchased the tank I kept the same media in the filter and set up immediately when I got it home to ensure it would remain cycled. Tank is a 125 gallon, currently stocked with 1 full grown ruby oscar, one Jack Dempsey, one Mayan cichlid, and one pleco. I have 2 fluval filters, one fx6, one fx4. I do weekly water changes of 50%. I been testing 0 ammonia, ranging from .25-.5 for nitrites and 5ppm for nitrates. Is this a bio load issue? Is my tank just not fully cycled?? Forgot to add, all fish are super healthy, not showing any types of signs of distress in any way. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all

Just looking for some answers to an issue I been dealing with for awhile now. I got the tank back in November, tank was previously set up for a full year. When I purchased the tank I kept the same media in the filter and set up immediately when I got it home to ensure it would remain cycled. Tank is a 125 gallon, currently stocked with 1 full grown ruby oscar, one Jack Dempsey, one Mayan cichlid, and one pleco. I have 2 fluval filters, one fx6, one fx4. I do weekly water changes of 50%. I been testing 0 ammonia, ranging from .25-.5 for nitrites and 5ppm for nitrates. Is this a bio load issue? Is my tank just not fully cycled?? Forgot to add, all fish are super healthy, not showing any types of signs of distress in any way. Thanks in advance!
Welcome aboard
It could be a bioload issue combined with other variables such as feeding more than the fish need , also maintaining filters, and most importantly appropriate amount of water changes. The 50% may not be enough also believe your Nitrate level is higher than 5 ppm.
If you use the API freshwater test kit shake the regent bottles for Nitrate well especially #2 bottle.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
I do filter changes monthly, change the chemical media, rinse the sponges in a bucket of the aquarium water.
I can retest the nitrate and nitrite again today and keep you posted. How much more can I do weekly than 50% safely? Wouldn’t it potentially damage the cycle of the tank doing more than that at once??

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
Welcome aboard
It could be a bioload issue combined with other variables such as feeding more than the fish need , also maintaining filters, and most importantly appropriate amount of water changes. The 50% may not be enough also believe your Nitrate level is higher than 5 ppm.
If you use the API freshwater test kit shake the regent bottles for Nitrate well especially #2 bottle.
Just retested, .5 nitrite, 10 nitrate, 0 ammonia

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with tlindsey
and consider a 10 ppm nitrate concentration not acutely dangerous, a bit high, but a precursor to chronic HITH disease.
In natural waters where all your fish come from, nitrate is normally undetectable.
In a 125 with those largish species as adults, two 50% water changes per week would hardly be overkill.
I have spent a lot of time with these cichlids in nature and their natural waters, they are in almost constant water change from underground, upwelling, of natural springs, and they live in the millions of gallons.
https://youtu.be/Zb3v0VJTg5c
https://youtu.be/txmi1mng_XQ
https://youtu.be/eBFAtr6ZfIs
As you can see by the grab samples I take when collecting cichlids, nitrate is undetectable.
Left tube is nitrate, right pH.
IMG_2214.jpeg

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
I agree with tlindsey
and consider a 10 ppm nitrate concentration not acutely dangerous, a bit high, but a precursor to chronic HITH disease.
In natural waters where all your fish come from, nitrate is normally undetectable.
In a 125 with those largish species as adults, two 50% water changes per week would hardly be overkill.
I have spent a lot of time with these cichlids in nature and their natural waters, they are in almost constant water change from underground, upwelling, of natural springs, and they live in the millions of gallons.
https://youtu.be/Zb3v0VJTg5c
https://youtu.be/txmi1mng_XQ
https://youtu.be/eBFAtr6ZfIs
As you can see by the grab samples I take when collecting cichlids, nitrate is undetectable.
Left tube is nitrate, right pH.
View attachment 1537578
Awesome videos! I’ll definitely start doing 2 50% changes a week to help. Is there anything else you would recommend?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Awesome videos! I’ll definitely start doing 2 50% changes a week to help. Is there anything else you would recommend?
Since normal types of filtration (such as canisters, or HOBs) don't have any effect on reducing nitrate, I use planted sumps to help deal with it.
Of my filtration, about 20% is mechanical, and normal bio filtration, the other 80% is he use of terrestrial and aquatic plants.
My sump below.
IMG_3560.jpeg

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
Since normal types of filtration (such as canisters, or HOBs) don't have any effect on reducing nitrate, I use planted sumps to help deal with it.
Of my filtration, about 20% is mechanical, and normal bio filtration, the other 80% is he use of terrestrial and aquatic plants.
My sump below.
View attachment 1537579
I’ll do a 50% change again tomorrow and keep you posted on how much it drops the nitrites. How quick afterwards would be a safe bet to test? At least a few hours I’d assume to let the water “settle”?

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
I’ll do a 50% change again tomorrow and keep you posted on how much it drops the nitrites. How quick afterwards would be a safe bet to test? At least a few hours I’d assume to let the water “settle”?
One question though. From research I was reading live plants are super beneficial to help break everything down. Do I need additional equipment to keep a plant alive? Also, what type of plants would be best??

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
live plants are super beneficial to help break everything down.
That's true but also depends on the type of fish you have in the aquarium. Some species will eat plants and some fish like some cichlids will dig up or shred them up. How many times a day do you feed your fish?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store