Nitrite Issue

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
That's true but also depends on the type of fish you have in the aquarium. Some species will eat plants and some fish like some cichlids will dig up or shred them up. How many times a day do you feed your fish?
I definitely agree with you about them potentially eating or digging them up. I have a red devil in one of my other tanks so I know all about this behavior lol my main tank they seem to leave the fake plants alone, so I think I might be okay with actual ones. I feed them once a day.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because I keep (and have mainly kept) cichlids, this is why I dedicate planted sumps, so they don't turn into salad bars
One of my favorite nitrate users is Papyrus (umbrella palm) but the root ball gets so big, so fast, it can use up almost the entire spaceal area of a 6 ft tank.
1710418531030.pngIMG_0479.jpeg
I switched from Papyrus to mangrove trees a few years ago, because although their roots will eventually out grow my 125 gl sump, they grow quite slowly
IMG_4076.jpeg
I planted the above mangrove pod in a sand filled bamboo stem in Sept of 2021
IMG_0435.jpeg
The mangrove roots split the bamboo tube by Aug of 2023 (above)
Today some saplings are about 3 feet above the surface.
IMG_2710.jpeg
I also like quick growing Vallisneria as a true aquatic plant for using lots of nitrate n the sump
IMG_3595.jpeg
and Salvinia and water lettuce are known to be a big nutrient consumers, when used as floaters.
IMG_7580.jpeg
And of course terrestrials like Dieffenbachia, Monstera, and Pothos
IMG_8210.jpeg

Last edited:

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
You said you do filter changes monthly and change chemical media? What chemical media are you using, or changing monthly? Do you have substrate or bare tank?

puffers4puffers

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Kensington CA
Because I keep (and have mainly kept) cichlids, this is why I dedicate planted sumps, so they don't turn into salad bars
One of my favorite nitrate users is Papyrus (umbrella palm) but the root ball gets so big, so fast, it can use up almost the entire spaceal area of a 6 ft tank.
View attachment 1537614View attachment 1537627
I switched from Papyrus to mangrove trees a few years ago, because although their roots will eventually out grow my 125 gl sump, they grow quite slowly
View attachment 1537615
I planted the above mangrove pod in a sand filled bamboo stem in Sept of 2021
View attachment 1537616
The mangrove roots split the bamboo tube by Aug of 2023 (above)
Today some saplings are about 3 feet above the surface.
View attachment 1537617
I also like quick growing Vallisneria as a true aquatic plant for using lots of nitrate n the sump
View attachment 1537618
and Salvinia and water lettuce are known to be a big nutrient consumers, when used as floaters.
View attachment 1537620
And of course terrestrials like Dieffenbachia, Monstera, and Pothos
View attachment 1537619
Is that Robert De Niro?!

• Haha
Reactions: tlindsey and duanes

puffers4puffers

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Kensington CA
T Teddy99
I would also be suspect of the test kit and possibly your technique
Your water change frequency is great
Do you test before and after the WC?

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
You said you do filter changes monthly and change chemical media? What chemical media are you using, or changing monthly? Do you have substrate or bare tank?
I have gravel substrate, in which I use the gravel vac every water change. As for chemical media, I only use it in one basket of the filter, I use zeo-carb from fluval. About 3 of the pouches.

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
T Teddy99
I would also be suspect of the test kit and possibly your technique
Your water change frequency is great
Do you test before and after the WC?
I tested after wc with the most recent results I replied with. But usually before and after honestly. And when I test after I wait at least 12 hours.

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
Have you ever tested the “new” water BEFORE its added?
and why wait…
ohhh you mean test the water from the tap? Yes I have, it is perfect. 0 nitrite.
I always waited after because I was under the impression the water took a little to mix and “settle”with the old water before getting a totally accurate reading.

Teddy99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2024
So just wanted to keep everyone posted, i retested water today, no water change and nitrites were zero.. what would’ve made it test high yesterday and be perfect today? I know I did the test exactly the same as I always do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store