Nosferatu steindachneri

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I can see how certain species would be costly, some areas are quite remote, and to get there isn't cheap.
Here in Panama, an average collecting trip for me alone, might run about $200 per day, (and that doesn't mean I'll get something I really want), and that cost depends on if I can make the last ferry home. If I can't make it, add a hotel stay, and a few extra meals.
The average cost for me, is mostly be transportation, and maybe some local fishing fees. The Darien is controlled by the indigenous people, who determine the cost (where some of my most wanted species are). Having an experienced driver who can translate helps, and might also add a little extra, and this is just getting fish to my house. Permits and "fees" to get them out the the country may really get expensive.
I have given out photos of fish I'm trying to get to some local people I know, and they have twice, brought me some, that cost might only be half. They call if they get some, and I still need to take a ferry to the mainland, to get the buckets full.
fullsizeoutput_1011.jpeg
The buckets above and below, held Andinoacara, a goby, a couple tetras, a Plecostomus, and some freshwater shrimp. To the locals, most small cichlids are Chogorros, no matter what species they are.
fullsizeoutput_1010.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Since this thread started in 2019, I have collected Darienheros calobrense, and Isthmoheros tuyrense, both in the Mamoni river on the western edge of the DarienIMG_0212.jpegIMG_9532.jpegIMG_7829.jpeg
Darienheros above.
Isthmoheros below
IMG_1654.jpegIMG_1645.jpegIMG_1639.jpegIMG_9709.jpeg.
Another Darienheros below.

IMG_0210.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
But not only cichlids, there are a few others making it more of a Mamoni river biotope tank.
There are at least 2 species of Gobies caught in the river.
IMG_4198.jpeg
Awaous banana above,
Gobiomorus below
IMG_4170.jpegIMG_3814.jpegIMG_3208.jpeg
The Machaca, a tetra of the genus Brycon
IMG_3922.jpegIMG_3622.jpeg
and one other cichlid (so far) that seems to be found in more gentle flow areas, Andinoacara coerleopunctatus
IMG_3885.jpeg
I have yet to catch a glimpse of a Panamanian Umbi, I may need to go further east into the Darien Gap to find them.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store