Official SCUBA thread 2014

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Diver.jpg

I love diving, but unfortunately I have been doing very little for the past four years. After twelve years of being DINKs (Double-Income-No-Kids) we had a kid (now two of them) which has kept me from diving more than a couple times. :irked: They're growing up fast, though so I hope to start getting back into it as the kids become more independent.

I started snorkeling in the creek that runs through my town at six or seven. When I was thirteen I snorkeled in the ocean for the first time. It was in the Indian Ocean off of Lamu, Kenya. At that point I was very much hooked. I dove for the first time 23 years ago in Mexico when I was eighteen. A guy I met had some tanks/regulators, so we strapped them on along with a weight belt (no B.C. or wetsuits) and motored out in a tiny Zodiac to do a little diving. I eventually got certified in Cozumel about sixteen years ago. At one point about ten years ago I started working towards a cave-diving certification and did a lot of cave-diving in the Yucatan, but my wife wasn't that into it (it is a lot of work) and so I gave it up.

So far I have dove:

Warmwater:
Caribbean around Cozumel/Tulum and off of Negril, Jamaica
Several Cenotes in the Tulum area
Pacific coast of Mexico from Puerto Vallarta to Oaxaca
Pacific coast of Nicaragua
Hawaii (Big Island)
Coldwater:
Pacific Coast of Oregon
Hood Canal in Washington
Lots of Rivers/Lakes around Oregon

I don't have a ton of dive photos, but here are a few.

A skull in a sacrificial well at Punta Laguna Spider Monkey Reserve. This was one of the strangest dives ever.
Skull.jpg

Gran Cenote:
GrandCenote.jpg

My wife surfacing from el Pit (another cenote), my deepest dive so far at a bit over 140'.
DeeSurfacing.jpg

The ever-present Porcupine Puffer:
puffer.JPG

Getting ready to dive the local reservoir. The air temperature was about 30 and the water was 34 degrees.
reservoir.JPG

My trusty Zodiac: :headbang2
zodiac.JPG

Skull.jpg

GrandCenote.jpg

DeeSurfacing.jpg

puffer.JPG

reservoir.JPG

Diver.jpg

zodiac.JPG

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow Dan, seems like we have more dive maniacs on this thread than I thought! Like the puffer in the one picture :)

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
wow, that skull. that didn't creep you out just a little dan?

love the puffer shot
The skulls were pretty creepy, there were hundreds of them. This is the way in:

Into the Abyss.jpg

Wow Dan, seems like we have more dive maniacs on this thread than I thought! Like the puffer in the one picture :)
The puffer shot was just a lucky moment, but it is one of my favorites, too.

A few more random pics:

puffer.JPG

View attachment 997117

pelican.JPG

stingray.JPG

Into the Abyss.jpg

pelican.JPG

puffer.JPG

stingray.JPG

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
I'll whore-out my GOPRO dive video again. My only dive, but I was so hooked. Planning/hoping to get certified cause some of the places I travel are supposed to have unreal dive spots.

[video=youtube_share;fxdXYrTuYZ4]http://youtu.be/fxdXYrTuYZ4[/video]

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll whore-out my GOPRO dive video again. My only dive, but I was so hooked. Planning/hoping to get certified cause some of the places I travel are supposed to have unreal dive spots.

[video=youtube_share;fxdXYrTuYZ4]http://youtu.be/fxdXYrTuYZ4[/video]
You should definitely get certed dude! Plus you can dive anywhere! Seems like the gopro works well, I'm getting one to take dive videos for my youtube channel so hopefully it's as good quality as that was, plus it is less annoying since you can just strap it on and ignore it completely after hitting record.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well since I pretty much have all my major dive trips planned out for this year I'll just let you guys know when to expect rapid posting from me (if the thread lasts that long :) ).

may: local quarry
june: local quarry, summersville lake
july: north point quarry, circlesville twin quarries
august: local quarry, gilboa quarry
september: local quarry (camp out w/ night diving)

it it sucks that where I live the diving season for wet suits is only 5 months max, but oh well it's worth it. To me anyways since quarries with 15 feet vis aren't everyone's favorite (meaning: I'm insane).

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a few diving videos on my youtube channel so I'll have to post some on here when I get home. If you guys want to see them now as of now there is a link for my channel in my sig. Otherwise they will be up tonight or tomorrow morning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store