Official SCUBA thread 2014

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I have not been diving in a long while now, I have my advanced cert. but most places I go around FL are like 30ft deep so I just snorkeland dive down instead. I got plenty of photos and video.

Here is a video from the keys:

[video=youtube;BweiDPTKzsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BweiDPTKzsw[/video]

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I have not been diving in a long while now, I have my advanced cert. but most places I go around FL are like 30ft deep so I just snorkeland dive down instead. I got plenty of photos and video.

Here is a video from the keys:

[video=youtube;BweiDPTKzsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BweiDPTKzsw[/video]
whoa I think saw a mermaid go by!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well as I suspected this isn't doing so well sadly. I'm diving on May 10th at my local quarry for the first time this year so if you're interested in seeing pictures and/or videos of that keep an eye on this thread around then.

And please feel free to contribute as well!

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
Well as I suspected this isn't doing so well sadly. I'm diving on May 10th at my local quarry for the first time this year so if you're interested in seeing pictures and/or videos of that keep an eye on this thread around then.

And please feel free to contribute as well!
Can you PLEASE answer a few questions?

1. What do you have to do to get a permit? (What do they test you on)

2. Do you buy your own gear or rent it?

3. How expensive is it to dive?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Can you PLEASE answer a few questions?

1. What do you have to do to get a permit? (What do they test you on)

2. Do you buy your own gear or rent it?

3. How expensive is it to dive?

Of course!!! I'm always happy to encourage new divers!

1) well that depends on what dive organization you want to get certified from. The main two are PADI and NAUI. I am certified in PADI and I'm happy with it myself. Getting certified for me involved 6 class sessions, each about an hour long which was then followed by getting into a pool at a YMCA and practicing the skills we learned in class. After that we went to a local quarry and did 4 open water dives, practicing our skills in an actual diving environment. After that which took about a month total I was given a liscense and certificate that stated I was officially PADI certified as an open water diver. After that I got later certified in the summer as an advanced open water diver and was going to get rescue diver certified after but I was to young. This is the first year I can do that so I'll be getting rescue certified in August then divemaster when I'm 18. Here is the breakdown of the main PADI certification levels.

Open Water- 1 month of training (in class, at home, and diving) good to 60 feet deep.
Advanced Open Water- 1 month of training (at home and diving, no in class), good to 100 feet deep (what I currently am)
Rescue Diver- 2 weeks of training (in class, at home, and diving), good to 100 feet and learn the skills to rescue yourself and others on an emergency situation.
Deep Diver- 1 week training (at home and diving), good to 130 feet deep.
Divemaster- up to 6 months training (in class, at home, diving, assisting classes), good to 130 feet and learn the skills to assist classes, comfort/calm stressed divers, and all that other fun stuff.

2) I personally rent my gear but that's because I outgrow stuff every year, when I'm 21 and stop growing I'll probably but my own stuff.

3) diving definitely isn't the cheapest sport but it's not terribly expensive. The most money is getting your gear, buy it once when you're done growing and you won't spend much more money on things other than dive park fees (dirt cheap), air refills, and dive trips.

if you want me to better elaborate on a specific subject then please feel free to PM me, hope you get certified dude, it's an amazing thing to do!

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
Of course!!! I'm always happy to encourage new divers!

1) well that depends on what dive organization you want to get certified from. The main two are PADI and NAUI. I am certified in PADI and I'm happy with it myself. Getting certified for me involved 6 class sessions, each about an hour long which was then followed by getting into a pool at a YMCA and practicing the skills we learned in class. After that we went to a local quarry and did 4 open water dives, practicing our skills in an actual diving environment. After that which took about a month total I was given a liscense and certificate that stated I was officially PADI certified as an open water diver. After that I got later certified in the summer as an advanced open water diver and was going to get rescue diver certified after but I was to young. This is the first year I can do that so I'll be getting rescue certified in August then divemaster when I'm 18. Here is the breakdown of the main PADI certification levels.

Open Water- 1 month of training (in class, at home, and diving) good to 60 feet deep.
Advanced Open Water- 1 month of training (at home and diving, no in class), good to 100 feet deep (what I currently am)
Rescue Diver- 2 weeks of training (in class, at home, and diving), good to 100 feet and learn the skills to rescue yourself and others on an emergency situation.
Deep Diver- 1 week training (at home and diving), good to 130 feet deep.
Divemaster- up to 6 months training (in class, at home, diving, assisting classes), good to 130 feet and learn the skills to assist classes, comfort/calm stressed divers, and all that other fun stuff.

2) I personally rent my gear but that's because I outgrow stuff every year, when I'm 21 and stop growing I'll probably but my own stuff.

3) diving definitely isn't the cheapest sport but it's not terribly expensive. The most money is getting your gear, buy it once when you're done growing and you won't spend much more money on things other than dive park fees (dirt cheap), air refills, and dive trips.

if you want me to better elaborate on a specific subject then please feel free to PM me, hope you get certified dude, it's an amazing thing to do!
If i do get certified would you be interested in diving with me sometime? I live in MD so im not tooo far from you in PA and im around your age im 14 almost 15... Idk just crossed my mind thought it might be fun xD

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
If i do get certified would you be interested in diving with me sometime? I live in MD so im not tooo far from you in PA and im around your age im 14 almost 15... Idk just crossed my mind thought it might be fun xD

Sure, I'll see if i can arrange something.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Sadly allergies were so bad last weekend I couldn't get out to dive. Definitely getting out this Sunday though and hopefully going to get some get pictures and videos, I heard from multiple others in my local dive club that there's a very large black crappie nesting on the far shore that isn't at all afraid of people he even bit my friend 4 times on the head!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
First dives of the year today!!! Did 2 dives at strawberry quarry today, one was 70 minutes and the other was 50 minutes. Temperature ranged from 58-63 F and visibility was 10-15 feet. Fish action was plentiful seeing about 5-600 in total minus baitfish. The best part was there's an 10" black crappie nesting on an artificial fish habitat that "likes" people. I was told this at my local dive club on Tuesday night so I checked it out today. Well let's just say he really likes people, to the point that he relentlessly bit my mask and grabbed on to it. He got me on the mask a few times, on the head, on the left fin, and on my right index finger over the course of about 5 minutes. There was also a large (22-24") LMB on the opposite shoreline guarding a nest that bit my fin a few times. Probably also saw the biggest bluegill I've ever seen in person, the smallest it could have been was 14" more likely 16" and had a massive girth! Diving was great today and hopefully getting back up in two weeks.

Sorry for no underwater pics. Just ordered a DC 1400 the other day and expected it to be here by yesterday but it got delayed but next time there'll be fish pics to prove my stories true :)

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Once your certified open water you're good to go for recreational diving. Couple hundred bucks.

I'm currently divemaster but rescue is by far the most useful course I've taken by far. Thinking about doing a tri-mix cert and trying 150+ depth. It's funny I have my gas blender (to make tri-mix) but not the certification to use it.

Wish I got into diving when I was your age. You should get your divemaster then go somewhere like Thailand for the IDC.

I'm planning for this to be my retirement job :-D

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store