OMG Australian Rarities!!

Aussienative

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Australia
Talking about spangled perch, i just remembered years ago when i was about 14, a mate and i were riding our bikes home from a day of fishing, We rode through some bushland on the edge of an estate to save some time, we came across what can only be described as a "puddle" :ROFL: , we had some prawns left over and decided to chuck a line in, what do ya know...... we caught spangled perch after spangled perch :ROFL: i couldn't believe it! i have no idea how they got there let alone survived!

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
oh really, share with us please, whats a better looking one? I'd love to learn more about the fish from down under
Probably not as good looking...but they are badass...

There is the sooty and barcoo grunters...

Another nice looking grunter is the Largescale Grunter (Terapon theraps)...they have spots that remind me of a juvie temensis...im pretty sure they are brackish/salt though.

Another cool grunter is the Silver Grunter (Mesopristes argenteus) found in fresh, salt and brackish.

There are a lot of fish found in Australia, particulary in FW that are pretty dull looking..but they have attitude.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
You just don't see many aussies in the USA. You have some great ones and some very strange ones as well.

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
^^^ ZING lol

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
There are a lot of fish found in Australia, particulary in FW that are pretty dull looking..but they have attitude.
Same with here. They are fun to keep though.

Volenti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Australia
Aussienative;420567; said:
Here's a very informative website you guys may be interested in about aussie natives.... enjoy

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/fish.html

Also...... while there are a few aussies looking in this thread, has anyone gone out collecting fish in a local stream/river. I don't mean fishing for bass or golden perch in a stocked impoundment ie Summerset dam :grinno:
In my local creek (south east QLD) I can get common gobies/gudgeons, smelt, small mullet, mouth allmighty*, glass perch, platys(sigh), Australian bass, common eels, various shrimp ect.

The mouth allmighty "look" like mini monsters but are incredibly boring, never saw them feed once in the months I had them, presumably nocturnal.

Bass.JPG

eeltailcat.JPG

Gudgeon.JPG

smelt.JPG

mouthall.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store