One 1,000G Indoor Monsterfish Pond Coming Up! (Ghetto Style)

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
Muske;3342875; said:
Keep the other tanks running, squeezing the media into the pond system weekly during water changes. Throw the water (from water changes) into the pond as well. If you can wait a month, do it. I have "jumped started" tanks in a week, but that was only a couple hundred gal., not thousands, and not a pond.
Forgive me for being a bit anal about it, when you say "into the pond system" you mean squeeze the muck into the filter right, not into the pond? I can't imagine waiting a month....the grief!!!!! awwww :cry:

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
If you put all of the fish and all of the filter media into the pond at the same time, you've still got a good cycle. Add some new water to fill the pond and you should never see ammonia. The fish will still be making the same amount of waste, diluted or not, and as long as your turnover is good, the bacteria will still 'have at it' at the same rate as before. The water itself contains very few bacteria, so don't be afraid to add new water to your existing biology. Most of the BB is on your tank surfaces and filter media. Keep them with the fish and you're good to go. You can squeeze the muck wherever you want. It will find its way into the filter. And there is no point in adding muck (BB) to an empty tank or pond, it will starve without fish waste to feed it. You'll also have an easier transition if you acclimatize the muck. Seriously. Put the media in a bag, float it in the pond and add new water gradually. Bacteria can be shocked, too.

Or, if you plan to keep the previous tank operational, transfer half of the fish and half of the muck. Then make small changes later, i.e. more fish.

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
Bought (or shall I say, saved) 2 18" local catfish (locally known as hito, have no idea what the western name is)from the grocery store, (cost $4) to help with the cycle. Also have two tilapias in there and some feeders.

Haven't been able to find a source for the plastic crates that I want to DIY into my wet/dry mechanical/bio filtration system, so I guess this improvised one will do for now. Wrapped some of my old filter media (scour pads, poly fiber in a new sheet of polyfiber, bought 2 yards for a $1, we're a 3rd world country, so things are pretty cheap here ) The pond is about 1/3 filled up with water change dumps from my 2 100G, doing an almost daily 30-45% change on them for the sake of the pond...ooops, not supposed to do that am I :(

That's a RIO 20HF pumping about 1000GPH into that improvised filter/basin.

Some of the future inhabitants of the pond, a 10" TSN and a juvy RTC, both I got for $12.50 from some guy who was disposing it.

This 19" Clown Knife Fish, I got from an LFS for around $16, in the first week with he downed about 30 or so feeders, I starved him for about 2 weeks and weaned him from feeders, now he's eating beefheart.

esparonisproud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
seychelles
love tht pond wont the rtc do damage to the ck in the future just sayin cuz i saw a video of one eating a ck on youtube

predatorbass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
HADES
WHAT IS THAT FISH O THE THIRD PICTURE WITH THE CATFISH?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store