One 1,000G Indoor Monsterfish Pond Coming Up! (Ghetto Style)

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
esparonisproud;3351722; said:
love tht pond wont the rtc do damage to the ck in the future just sayin cuz i saw a video of one eating a ck on youtube
Very possible problem. But at this time, the RTC is only 4" and the CKF is almost 5x his size at 19", so, I'll just figure things out when the problem arises.

Yeah, I also saw youtube video of the RTC eating the knife, that's why it's at the back of my mind.

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
knifegill;3351243; said:
If you put all of the fish and all of the filter media into the pond at the same time, you've still got a good cycle. Add some new water to fill the pond and you should never see ammonia. The fish will still be making the same amount of waste, diluted or not, and as long as your turnover is good, the bacteria will still 'have at it' at the same rate as before. The water itself contains very few bacteria, so don't be afraid to add new water to your existing biology. Most of the BB is on your tank surfaces and filter media. Keep them with the fish and you're good to go. You can squeeze the muck wherever you want. It will find its way into the filter. And there is no point in adding muck (BB) to an empty tank or pond, it will starve without fish waste to feed it. You'll also have an easier transition if you acclimatize the muck. Seriously. Put the media in a bag, float it in the pond and add new water gradually. Bacteria can be shocked, too.

Or, if you plan to keep the previous tank operational, transfer half of the fish and half of the muck. Then make small changes later, i.e. more fish.
Thanks for this very informative reply. I guess I was really over analyzing things, and you put things in a much simpler perspective.

My idea was that since this was a pond, the scale is a lot bigger, in a sense it is, but with the same population of fish, and more or less most of the old media, the ecosystem should be more or less the same.

I tested for Ammonia this morning, and the result was around .25

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
Polyptasaurus;3351650; said:
ohhhhhhh man! im getting excited, just keep us updated!!
I've been literally having almost sleepless nights getting all worked up about the pond, if you are just seeing pictures and are getting excited, imagine how I feel :nilly:

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Galing....

Its an indoor pond too.

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
arkmann;3353106; said:
Galing....

Its an indoor pond too.
yeah no battles with algae, no need for UV...yipeeeee!

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
Checked on my ammonia level and saw that it was at 0ppm, so I'm quite confident that the jump start of the old filter media from my existing tanks worked wonders in cycling my pond.

Added a 2' ID Shark into the pond this morning, he used to be in a wide 70G aquarium. Owner was in a hurry and disposed of it at $8. I would have rather added it a week or two from today to ensure that the cycle is stable, just hoping for the best.

After I acclimatized him and slid him into the pond, his face went like this: :WHOA: All this room for me to swim in?!

Pix to follow tonight, also found a plastic 4 drawer cabinet, it was on sale at our local (SM) Mall for only $14. Quickly snatched it up and, since there were some workers doing some minor renovations it the house, they helped bore holes into the bottom of the cabinets, again, pictures to follow tonight.

Also added some white pebbles and some awesome looking driftwood I got from our LFS street alley (Cartimar), kinda expensive at $30, more expensive than my fish!! :cry:

Useless update without the pix, I know. Hang tight.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
should add some cichlids .. but looks awesome imma subscribe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store