Just got a case of ick, its been sooooo long I had to look up this page...lol

Thanks Guppy!

Mitchellgoosen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
new york
can someone help me out?

I added 6 tetras to my existing aquarium about 2 weeks ago that already had 5 apistogrammas in it. The tetras started showing signs of ich so i followed this thread. The temp is 86 i added 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon and added a extra air stone to the tank. 4 of the teras have died, the other 2 are completly covered in ich and now my apistos are showing some early signs of the ich. Ive had the treatment going for 4 days now.

How come now the apistos are showing signs of ich and its not going away?

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
personally temp is the only way I battle it anymore. Salt is good but if you hit 90 degrees in a tank it will kill all forms. Most of my fish can do that no problem for a brief period so I spike the temp from 86 to 90 with a water change (going up doesn't cause shock, going down in temp rapidly does) 6 hrs after water change the tank is back to 86, leave it there for a week and bam no ich no chemicals, plants and fish fine no looses. Warning certain fish won't tolerate that temp and will potentially not handle 86, certain african cichlids like gibberosa, compressicep, and cylindricus.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
can someone help me out?

I added 6 tetras to my existing aquarium about 2 weeks ago that already had 5 apistogrammas in it. The tetras started showing signs of ich so i followed this thread. The temp is 86 i added 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon and added a extra air stone to the tank. 4 of the teras have died, the other 2 are completly covered in ich and now my apistos are showing some early signs of the ich. Ive had the treatment going for 4 days now.

How come now the apistos are showing signs of ich and its not going away?
if the above prescription is not working the ich is likely a secondary infection in your tank. Check your water parameters, if they are fine and not suppressing your fishes immune system you might try treating for internal parasites, epsom salt blended with water, soak foods in that then feed to kick many internal parasites with no risk of damaging the fish. You can also try treating with metro but that is more difficult, though a broad spectrum treatment that will help with certain pathogens and is more comprehensive than epsom salt it can be harmful if not done right. While pursuing secondary treatments don't stop treating the ich. Epsom salt is harmless to your fish for more info on it look up RD., he has a thread on it:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...Treating-Hexamita-aka-Spironucleus&highlight=

Mitchellgoosen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
new york
water paramaters are good, i dont think they have internal parasites as there poop has looked normal, may give it a shot though if i dont see a improvement in the tank soon...im gonna try your method of cranking it to 90 for 6 hours and hope that works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store