Ordering Trimac's to breed question

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
They're a fish with wide distribution. I can't speak to the variations among the fish in various locales and watersheds. But I'd bet that there are differences...and differences worth preserving in aquarium lines (and not watering down in the name of "genetic diversity").

I also can't speak to genetic diversity inside wild populations of trimacs. But just look at some of the Cenotes in Mexico and the (spring-fed) streams in Uruguay. Amazingly small bodies of water that don't mix with other bodies very often at all. Think a lot of the fish in those bodies of water are related? You betcha!

An remember ALL of the La Ceiba's in the hobby came from two pairs. Mass deformities? Not that I've seen.

The buying-fish-from-two-different-vendors-will-make-the-offspring-better meme is way overrated, especially if both of the vendors sourcing the fish are probably selling fish from different locations.

Circa 1982 we got wise on doing this with African cichlids (they're all Aulonocara peacocks, right?!) and figured out that crossing varients was a bad idea. It's only taken 30 years to figure it out with new worlds (or maybe we haven't)...

Who wants to bet that after a couple of weeks you'll be ready to sell the female after the pair hasn't bred (or the male is chasing her)? I like the idea of a solo fish...

Matt

All those 'unique' populations you mention, tied to specific locales or bodies or water is surely not made of siblings and inbreeding. It is not as if the fish quantities ina given place match a" normal breeders collection.

Hellman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Rotterdam
I am thinking solo trimac because they are really aggressive fish and its only a 125 so I have been thinking about it a lot so don't get me wrong I Am just asking the questions so I can figure out the best situation for the fish and solo trimac is gonna be the best idea.

Now the next question is should I order like 4-5 males and pick the best one or should I just buy one and hope for the best I how should I go about it or is there another beast I could go with over the trimac as a solo fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dk66gt

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2007
NJ
I ordered my Trimacs from Rapps. Bought 5 I believe and let nature take its course. Kept the fastest growing, dominant male and sold/gave away the rest. They are great as a solo show fish! Just make sure you give him lots of room. They're a powerful fish. Had him in a 75gal for a while and I couldn't keep the filter inlet/outlet or heater attached. Hated everything in his tank except for my Ornate Bicher. Well, he would pick him up with his mouth and carry him around every now and then...LOL. Wish I was lucky enough to catch him doing that!

Madness

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2010
Puyallup, WA
What exactly are you looking for? Size? Color? Shape? Attitude? Personality?

Your question is far to vague and will receive a thousand different responses.

Hellman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Rotterdam
People can't pick fish for you man. Most cichlids will do well in a 125. It's not like you're new to MFK, you've seen it all by now.

I know but I am sure there are some fish I haven't seen I have ink been in the hobby 2 yrs almost 3 and I am still finding fish I have never seen by my research that's why I am asking and trying to figure out if trimac is beat or if I should do a pair in my 125 I don't know what would work for breeding because of how aggressive some fish are you know what I mean. I don't wanna make the Wong choice on a solo fish or a breeding pair

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store