Out Side Saltwater Tank

micstarz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Hong Kong
808;3007115; said:
Thanks guys, i was just wondering. I was just going to try it out for fun because nearby my house theres a harbor with tons of soft corals growing in it that i could get. The round bright green ones with purple in the middle that bud off from eachother. Theres also an unlimited amount of feather dusters, and i can even catch pretty nice expensive butterfly fish and tangs easily (raccon Butterflys, Yellow Tangs, convict tangs, and even moorish idols). Theres also tons of stony coral growing all over the rocks, but its illegal to take them here. TTT
Dang Hawaiins got it good :D

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
nvm... wrongful post

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
becareful and check on the laws about taking fishes and coral from the ocean

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Out door tank will suffer a LOT of evaporation. In a small tank, that will create nasty swings in salinity. Not good for coral.

And I'll second the checking the law comment. Coral are all protected in US waters (Federal law). It's not fun to be caught doing it.

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
Im aware of the laws with coral. I stated in recent posts that its illegal to take stony coral here.

Myteemouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2008
Tacoma wa.
I would make sure you have a GOOD ATO and be ready to clean the glass everyday and vacuum out the ALGAE... Should work fine and the temp will be a pretty big swing everyday..A chiller would be a necessity..Sounds like a little more trouble than its worth,,
You';ll spend more in power to run the chiller all day than to run a good set of lights, and the chiller cost more too..

M.Maddox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
TX
www.wetwebmedia.com
All of these "algae will grow like crazy" replies are completely incorrect. Lighting is never the limiting factor in algae growth, dissolved nutrients are. NSL (natural sunlight) will not cause more algal growth than artificial light with the same given PAR (photosynthetically active radiation).

Natural sunlight is infinitely superior to artificial light, and I have a nano that gets direct sunlight from a large window. I have seen entire coral propagation greenhouses lit by nothing but natural sunlight, and believe me, they wouldn't use the sun if it wasn't the best option out there!

People often forget that there is huge, diverse ecosystem thriving in the ocean that has been around a lot longer than our species has, lit by the sun!

Myteemouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2008
Tacoma wa.
. Lighting is never the limiting factor in algae growth, dissolved nutrients are.

This is my point.
No one, And I say no one, can simulate the filtration of the ocean..We all battle dirty water,(hense water changes) this will get algea.
I would be more worried about cooking the livestock

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
M.Maddox;3059487; said:
All of these "algae will grow like crazy" replies are completely incorrect. Lighting is never the limiting factor in algae growth, dissolved nutrients are.

to be fair, i've left distilled water out before and it's grown algae

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store