Ovarian prolapse / parrot Cichlid

Dave Sokacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2016
Hi everyone; for the last 3 months, I have been trying to heal my parrot Cichlid. She has had what I believe to be a packed egg tube protruding from her vent. The first bulge ruptured into an awful blossom of shredded tissue. At that point, after initial research, I put her in a five gallon quarantine tank and treated her with epsome salt dips and oral injections of metronidazole for a good 12 days. The protrusion shrunk considerably, but a few days after halting treatment, it started up again. I took an aggressive chance, and tied off the bulge with sewing thread at the base of the vent; after a week, I cut off the dangling egg sack with surgical scissors just below the tie off. Now a new bulge is starting up above the tie off ...
The fish seems completely unaffected by the whole thing. It's bizzare and frustrating.
Any input, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Pictures / video to follow

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I wish I could help. :( Someone on here is bound to be able to help you, but that someone is not me.

Welcome to MFK. :)

Reactions: Dave Sokacz

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Given that there hasn't been a lot of activity on this topic, I'd weigh in and say continue the metro and salt bath dips; or even better, try and contact a vet that is qualified to deal with fish.

I'd like to say that since its an ovarian prolapse, hopefully (while still being severe) it doesn't have the same grave implications as a rectal prolapse, but better to sort out asap

Reactions: Dave Sokacz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store