Overflow doesn't have the holes for return nozzles (Help)

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
^^^Good question, there. I'm no expert, but if you want to drill returns in the side of the overflow, you'll want to make sure the overflow has all the holes you'll also need for the drains AND the return coming back up in the overflow and out into the tank - presumably for the cleaner look you want? I'm guessing there's already holes in the overflow for the returns to come through, then over into the tank?

As others have said, acrylic is not hard to drill at all - just take your time. Another consideration is since the overflow is outside of the tank, you'll need to consider how the bulkheads (for the say, locline) will be attached to. Typically if the overflow was inside the tank you would use a bulkhead to the overflow side. In your case, the return will need to go through both the overflow side AND tank based on what I see in the picture.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Just saw your response before my post. Depending on your return pump size, I would "T" off the return into two smaller returns into the tank. I use the double returns to help agitate the water surface, etc...

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
^^^Good question, there. I'm no expert, but if you want to drill returns in the side of the overflow, you'll want to make sure the overflow has all the holes you'll also need for the drains AND the return coming back up in the overflow and out into the tank - presumably for the cleaner look you want? I'm guessing there's already holes in the overflow for the returns to come through, then over into the tank?

As others have said, acrylic is not hard to drill at all - just take your time. Another consideration is since the overflow is outside of the tank, you'll need to consider how the bulkheads (for the say, locline) will be attached to. Typically if the overflow was inside the tank you would use a bulkhead to the overflow side. In your case, the return will need to go through both the overflow side AND tank based on what I see in the picture.
Thanks.... it seem like there's so much to do, I may just let the returns go over the top
I want the clean look but keeping it how it is its probably best

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
I would use one or two bulkheads for the filter and one or two bulkheads for return lines, u dont need to drill anything. Just come over the top of the overflow and go back down with a 90 deg and ur good to go. If ur going to do it on the back of the tank, id put a ball valve or two to make sure u have even flow. Which ever is closest to the pump will get the most flow, water is lazy, it will go thru the most available source first. Good luck

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
If there are three holes the overflow was likely designed as a bean animal type drain, it would be silent and flow a ton of water.

If you really want to go through the tank why not drill a hole next to the overflow?

Edit- Saw your other question, if it were my tank I would go up over the top with the return and use the three holes for a bean animal drain. Paint the return black and you'll hardly notice it. Thats how I did my tank.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Thanks.... it seem like there's so much to do, I may just let the returns go over the top
I want the clean look but keeping it how it is its probably best
Understand how you feel, but don't get overwhelmed with all this. I would recommend that you think through what type of drain set-up you want to go with; durso, herbie, beanie, or a combination. This is what some of the other folks are getting into as it is something you want to consider as you are thinking through your return line approaches. This will then help you determine how many of the 3 existing holes already available in the overflow box you will use. From my experience. I went with the herbie method (one full siphon and one with only a trickle). My drains are (only) 1" each, and I use a third hole for a dry stand-by drain (beanie approach?). Funny thing is, I went with these approaches even before I even new there were names for the methods established by those folks :)

I also have a fourth 1.5" hole in my overflow that I split into two 3/4" lines as the returns. If you decide to use one of the wholes for the return, this is what I mentioned about doing. Again, first decide what type of drains you want and that will likely influence your decision. If you do decide to go through the overflow for returns, just make sure the bulkheads that will presumably attach to your overflow and tank side be water tight.

In my opinion, if you're going to use one of the bulkheads for the return, it makes sense why you want the clean look to have the return(s) go through the side and NOT over. But if you decide you can live with going over, then you have the option of using all three bulkheads/holes for drain options.

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
If there are three holes the overflow was likely designed as a bean animal type drain, it would be silent and flow a ton of water.

Edit- Saw your other question, if it were my tank I would go up over the top with the return and use the three holes for a bean animal drain. Paint the return black and you'll hardly notice it. Thats how I did my tank.
Do u have pics of your bean animal setup? A few people told me that I can do a bean animal but some say my overflow is truly a true overflow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store