Overflow doesn't have the holes for return nozzles (Help)

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Sorry, I should have been a bit more clean, my overflow is a herbie style, one drain is a full siphon, the second is an emergency dry backup.

You can read up about a bean animal style here-

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

More than you'd ever want to know, but basic idea- first drain is a full siphon, you control the water level with a gate valve on this one. Second drain is a slow trickle. Third drain is a dry emergency.

What I meant was my return was up over the back. With a black background and black pvc I dont find it to be overly noticeable. I've attached a pic of it for your reference.

That all said, if you want to go through the back for the return, do it! You need to do what will make you happy. As others have said, we are just all here to help. We want to see you succeed and be happy with it. I was happy with a return over the top, that doesn't mean you will be. A return drilled through the back next to the overflow would be very easy. It is not hard to drill acrylic. Just something to consider!

20150309_193319.jpg

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
Ok u guys so I'm come do decided that I'm going to drill 2 holes in my overflow for 2 nozzles.20150310_155809.jpg.. my nozzles are 3-4" and what size drill do i need?

20150310_155809.jpg

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
What do you mean 3-4"? Is that the length? You need the diameter of the pipe. If you have a 1" return you will need a 1" bulkhead. Not sure what size hole a 1" bulkhead calls for, but it is probably somewhere around 1.75" if I had to guess. Obviously confirm what sizes you need first, dont want to be drilling more than you need.

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
What do you mean 3-4"? Is that the length? You need the diameter of the pipe. If you have a 1" return you will need a 1" bulkhead. Not sure what size hole a 1" bulkhead calls for, but it is probably somewhere around 1.75" if I had to guess. Obviously confirm what sizes you need first, dont want to be drilling more than you need.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough hehe, so I'm going to drill my overflow to have my returns be inside the tank instead of over the top..
Instead of drilling 2 holes for 2 return nozzles, I'm going to drill 1 hole in the middle of the overflow and use a (Dual Nozzle).

My dual nozzle is a 3-4" and what drill size I need?$_3.jpeg

$_3.jpeg

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
You still are not being clear. I presume 3-4" is the length of the nozzle? So 3-4" in this direction-
length.jpg

You need to give us the diameter in this direction-
diameter.jpg

I imagine it is probably 3/4" or 1". We need to know the diameter of the loc line so we can tell you what size bulkhead you need. We need to know what size bulkhead you need in order to tell you what size hole to drill.

How large is the tank? What pump are you using for the return? What size is your return piping?

Edit-
I just realized, you probably mean 3-4" is 3/4" rather than 3 to 4 inches. How large is this tank? A 3/4" loc line will not flow much water. If the tank has any size to it you'll want a bigger return.

diameter.jpg

length.jpg

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
You still are not being clear. I presume 3-4" is the length of the nozzle? So 3-4" in this direction-
View attachment 1063707

You need to give us the diameter in this direction-
View attachment 1063706

I imagine it is probably 3/4" or 1". We need to know the diameter of the loc line so we can tell you what size bulkhead you need. We need to know what size bulkhead you need in order to tell you what size hole to drill.

How large is the tank? What pump are you using for the return? What size is your return piping?

Edit-
I just realized, you probably mean 3-4" is 3/4" rather than 3 to 4 inches. How large is this tank? A 3/4" loc line will not flow much water. If the tank has any size to it you'll want a bigger return.
Loc-line is 3-4", size of bulkhead I'm not sure

Tank is 225gal, 5x36x24
Pump still thinking and return hole is 1"

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
3-4" implies 3 to 4" long, not the diameter. You mean 3/4".

That said, 3/4" lock line is not big enough to flow enough water for a 220 gal. How do you know your return hole size if you don't know your bulkhead size?

Dude, you are going about this wrong. How much water do you want to flow? Many people recommend close to 10x per hour. I feel that is a bit excessive, I usually go for 7 or 8x. So lets assume 7x per hour. 225 gal times 7 is 1575pgh. So you need roughly 1600 gph after head loss. If you try and wedge that through a 3/4" loc line it is going to be like a pressure washer to the fish, way too much, if you can even manage it.

You should consider going with two returns and ditching the loc line. Obviously my opinion, but it is totally unneeded and is just going to restrict your flow.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
From my experience, the holes in an overflow box are never used for return water lines to the tank.
The holes hold the PVC that overflows to the sump.
Your pump then has a return line which goes (normally)to the opposite end of the tank.
In that way, non-filtered water leaves the tank on 1 end, and filtered water enters the tank on the opposite end.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store