Overstocked

Justin David

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Syosset
Ok so my friend has a 30 gallon tank that is WAY overstocked. It turns out she recieved the fish from a friend who had the fish in a 125. The fish are 12 african cichlids, average about 4 inches, 1 tiretrack eel, 2 featherfin catfish, and 2 smaller catfish which i dont know the name of. All the fish seem to be breathing heavily and not active what so ever. From what i know they were healthy before being dumped into a 30. Im planning on rescuing them. I have an empty 55 that i can put some of the fish in untill they are healthy enough to go into my 125 cichlid tank. My questions are:
One fish has cloudy eye and white patches on its side. Should i leave this one?
Which fishes should i leave in the 30 gallon?
How long should i quarentine them for?
What should i do when quarenting them?
Is latteral line disease contagious?
Anything i should look for?
Thanks,
Justin

tyl089

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
San Jose,
Lateral line disease from bad water condition. Not contagious but need to improve water condition. Do lots of water changes. I would leave tire track eel and feather find cats for now in 30. Quarantine due to condition prob 2 wks
Test the water parameters regularly.

Justin David

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Syosset
I did a water change and added bubbles to my friends tank, i also took some of the fish home and put them in my 125, i couldnt leave them in there. Anyway here are some pics of the fish in her tank. All the fish features in all photos were once in her small 40 gal. Can i get an ID on the fish in these pictures? Thanks. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I see:
Yellow labs
Ob peacock
Dragon blood peacock
Venutus
Electric blue ahli
Kenyi
You probably know about the synodontis eupertus and tire track eel.

Reactions: J. H.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see one Synodontis eupterus and two in the middle look like Synodontis grandiops or statistically far more likely mutipunctatus.

tyl089

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
San Jose,
So what is your plan for these guys because you have the room but the tire track eel is going to get big and the julie is going to be really mean once it's settled in.

Justin David

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Syosset
everything is in my 125 besides the eel, the two smaller catfish, the striped blue and black one and the large green one

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
So what is your plan for these guys because you have the room but the tire track eel is going to get big and the julie is going to be really mean once it's settled in.
I see Melanachromis Auratus and you are worried about a Julie? Where is the Julie, anyway? i wish I could afford fish like this !
They can probably live in that tank for a while, you have the kind of mix that will either turn into a bloodbath fast, or do fine while the experts scratch their heads.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I would get rid of the couple m. Auratus, and that haplichromine they are booth terrors when older ime.
Its the two in the front in this shot :
image.png

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store