P.magdalena pups - How to make them eat and grow?

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
The setup is now up and running, and the pups are inside the box. Took a while but i was finally able to get the result i wanted when it comes to the shifting of water between the aquarium itself and the box (had to drill amazing amounts of holes). I also added a airpump and airstone to the setup, and with a plastic clamp on the silicone tube i am able to adjust the airflow when i feed (so the food don`t just flow around everywhere). Here are some pictures.

Potamotrygon (1).JPG Potamotrygon (2).JPG Potamotrygon (3).JPG

I have also been hooked up with a supplier that sell different types of live food, and i have set up a aquarium for breeding of daphnia. Also i have began to hatch artemia.

The only drawback to my setup (i have not figured out another way..) is that the pup-tub need to be lowered/rised and kept in place manually when i do watherchanges in the aquarium. This can be a stressfactor for the pups..

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
Ok about the thing with waterchanges.. It`s obvious but it took my brain a while to see and understand it for some reason.. just by changing the right amout of water in the aquarium itself every day (about 10% i guess), the water in the tub will not sink to far down, and i will be able to keep nitrated low in the whole system without having to move the tub at all... what i genius i am.

Again thank you for the idea about making a pup-tub. I believe in this, and i am starting to have hopes..

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
Done a little digging in the fridge... Ready to be served.

DSC_0001.JPG
And a overview of how the kitchen bench looks atm :) Artemia hatcher at the left, and a tank ready for breeding daphnia to the right.

DSC_0002.JPG

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Good luck to you mate, hope it goes well, keep us updated.

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
I could make a pvc frame, but i believe i will make this setup work for now. I really don`t want to start building more and stress them out at this point either, since they are already in the box. For future pups i will most certainly add a pvc frame - if i decide to stick with this box i made, or some simular solution.

With a laundry basket with holes like those i will not be able to feed the types of live food that i have available in a manner that makes it stay with the pups long enough. It would escape out from the big holes to fast from what i believe. But what a great idea for my other future pups (hopefully) on leopoldi and histrix - that i am under the impression are not this sensitive and challenging to succeed with anyway (??).

Thanks for the input all.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Can you not make a pvc frame around it to have it float in your setup?
Or afix some styro around perimeter of pup tub so it just lowers with the water level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store