PART DEUX!!! - Epic Overhaul (3D Backgrounds/300g, 250g, 120g tanks)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Awesome Festae!
Thanks J!!!

Be nice to see how festae do in a bigger tank like this. Seems like a lot of people have aggression problems but i think that has a lot to do with tank size. I know mel has had good success with his pairs in his 270 and 1000 gallon. May be something for my 240 down the road:)

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I agree 100%. That is exactly why I bought them such a large tank. With enough space, you can break the mold for typical experiences. I am hoping this is true for this pair at least.

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
Agreed with fishman. Mel was also able to keep full grown unbees with tankmates for quite some time. That's impressive and it was probably largely due to the fact he kept them in a massive tank. The little male is quite stunning for just have been moved in plopped in a tank I can't wait to see the pair settled. I hope the pair do well in their new home I know they'll get big.

Oh and the background looks amazing in there!

LOPAKA

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
where EVERY things LEGAL :)
don't be surprised Justin if those few fry you have left end up food for the pair unless you plan on pulling them..... I must admit the tank looks better with that sand now that it has cleared but waiting to see it with the pebbles added.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Agreed with fishman. Mel was also able to keep full grown unbees with tankmates for quite some time. That's impressive and it was probably largely due to the fact he kept them in a massive tank. The little male is quite stunning for just have been moved in plopped in a tank I can't wait to see the pair settled. I hope the pair do well in their new home I know they'll get big.

Oh and the background looks amazing in there!
I believe the same regarding the tank size. Another note is that I am using a large tank footprint, drip system, live plant filtration and quality food in moderation as the main drivers for a good growth rate for these festae. I do not plan to overfeed to put on size with this pair. A good growth rate comes from more than food and overfeeding can cut down the life span of the fish which is unacceptable to me.

don't be surprised Justin if those few fry you have left end up food for the pair unless you plan on pulling them..... I must admit the tank looks better with that sand now that it has cleared but waiting to see it with the pebbles added.
Thanks for the advice. It's already happening.. As far as the sand goes, check out the below. Right now I have a 300 watt work light on it which I can't use long term. That is a MASSIVE amount of light and also has a yellow tint to it. I moved over a 36" Marineland double bright LED for comparison.

You can see what I mean about the light. This is what I work with while I'm building tanks, it's not a long term fit. It would be a fire hazard.

View attachment 765045

Although I would love to have this much light it isn't going to happen. This pair looks so tiny in here lol..

DSC_0056 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0020 - Copy.JPG

^ you can see what it looks like with a light designed for a tank. I want the edges dark for the female to retreat out of view etc.. This is how I have the lighting on all my tanks. I love it but that's just me, it's not everyones thing. I will keep messing around with different lights until I find one I'm happy with.

I am also really happy I finally got my female in with the male last night. It's good to finally have them home and both in the same tank :D

View attachment 765043

We're getting closer!!! :headbang2

DSC_0020 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0056 - Copy.JPG

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
They look great n there! SO tiny! Too bad about all they fry...sensitive little buggers.

And whats up w/ the T's? I ordered b4 you and still didnt get one :(

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I love the fish room!
Probably off topic:
Do you use any kind of drain system for your fish room?
I'm setting up my fish room now (spare bedroom) and I was planning on installing a 1.5" PVC line around the floor along the base boards and drill a hole through my wall to the outside for the old water (recycle to trees). I was going to plumb each tank to that drain and ultimately set up a drip system to each tank. I will also set up a drain between each tank with a cap on it so I can remove the cap and stick a python line in there for gravel vacuuming all that nasty water out to my yard.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Its turning into an awesome fishroom:headbang2 Grab yourself a beer you deserve it my friend. I have a feeling you may have already;)
Haha for once in my life I'm too tired fior beer. Moving sucks! OK too tired for beer might not be completely true.. lol

They look great n there! SO tiny! Too bad about all they fry...sensitive little buggers.

And whats up w/ the T's? I ordered b4 you and still didnt get one :(
Yeah oh well, there is always next spawn. I'm just happy everyone is home. I PM'ed Li and asked him to look into the shirt order, that is really weird. Mine was lost as welll but it was our fault since we had just done the change of address. They just had me come pick it up. Have you called the post office near you yet?

I love the fish room!
Probably off topic:
Do you use any kind of drain system for your fish room?
I'm setting up my fish room now (spare bedroom) and I was planning on installing a 1.5" PVC line around the floor along the base boards and drill a hole through my wall to the outside for the old water (recycle to trees). I was going to plumb each tank to that drain and ultimately set up a drip system to each tank. I will also set up a drain between each tank with a cap on it so I can remove the cap and stick a python line in there for gravel vacuuming all that nasty water out to my yard.
Glad you like it so far. It is going to be awesome when I am done. We are going to start home brewing as well so I will have that equipment in the garage too. I am looking forward to seeing how to incoporate all that equipment as well.

The drain isn't off topic at all. I was planning on working on my drip system this week and updating the thread as I go. I do not think I will run a large drain like that though. I think I may just run 1/2" line around the garage and hook up the drip to that. Quick disconnects at each tank. I will be running the drip system outside to a box I am going to build to grow earthworms for an additional food source. I'll post up my specs tonight when I get home.

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
Great thread, great build. Everything is great good job dude. Your festea look tiny in that tank. And that's good. Again awesome job!!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store