Peacock Bass Round Two: still failing

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
whoa, ok. Yea the 55 is just another grow out. I guess ill try smaller water changes and raise the temp up higher. Ive heard mixed results about the proper temperature ranges and didnt want to push on the high end. I bought the last batch from a good lfs and the batch i have now came from a pretty clean looking petco. When dealing with a store like petco I just dont bother asking things like how long they were there or if they were wild. I never trust the answer even if they have one. Im thinking they were bred since ive never seen one readily take pellets AND not spit them out

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Keep us posted. Follow as directed before and you'll be good to go. Post away if you have any other ?'s or issues. And stay away from live food if possible. THe bigger your pack of cichla the more competition....thus, they are more likely to eat what you want them to.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
well, im down to one now. But he already readily accepts anything I put into the tank as long as its small enough

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
feed that last survivor pellets and grab 4 more of similar size. Get that temp up to 87! But do it gradually....a couple degrees a day.

snogard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2005
TUCSON, AZ
i have 8- 2" pbass in my 55 right now and they're doing fine in there 82degrees - bloodworm-brineshrimp diet.

my 10 gallon on the other hand, been giving me problems. keep us updated and good luck :)

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
would it be unwise to try to get the 10 and the 55 to be close chemically and switch the bass over to where it will be more stable? or is this just extra stress that I shouldnt put the lil guy through?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I dont use any chemicals in my tanks cause we have good city water. A 55g is a much better choice for a growout cause its a larger volume of water. When doing wc's a 10g can get out of whack really easy if not careful....like adding to cold of water or too hot. If he will fit well in the 55g w/ other tankmates do it. During wc day scoop him up after you have drained the tank partially....try not to stress him...makes sure there is minimal decor so he doesnt smash into it. Then when you have him in a bucket w/ some tank water....tank water from the 55g and add some to the bucket...thus acclimating him to the new tank. Do a gallon or so at a time w/ new water...every 6-7min or so...in 15 put him in the 55g.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Id agree with chizzle, you have to baby them. i ordered 4 from snookn21 and they r doing great, they came in about 1.5". The key, keep water temps 84*+ lots of air, and allways dose the tank with salt. Keeps the ich away :D. I noticed most people loose their cichla at young ages when they dont feed them live food, I usually follow dieselmacks method and wait till they hit 5-7" before pellet training.

so in my rant, high water temps, salt, lots of filteration and your good to go.

monstermonkee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
CA
Im not sure why alot of people have trouble with baby Pbasses. The first time i kept pbass, i started with a total of 5 and they were 50-60gallon tank. 4 out of the 5 died because i kept feeding them live guppies and rosies (to fatten them up). Recently i got 2 to grow out to go with my 1 remaining from the last batch. Started them out in a 10 gallon with a canister filter. Change the water weekly(3-4 gallon). Maybe i have been lucky >.< GL to you though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store