Peacock Bass Round Two: still failing

digidat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
Madison
i have had my baby orinos for about 2-3 weeks now and so far no casualties yet, my first time keeping baby pbass as well too...i bump the temp to 87-88F, do like 20% water change about every other day and so far so fine, and i definitely try to avoid life food, haven't fed them any since i've gotten them, don't want to risk it...just been feeding bloodworms and so far so good but at firs they wouldn't even touch the bloodworms..now i'm trying to mix in pellets with the bloodworm to see if they'll take it, i hope they do because i want to them to start growing faster

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Thanks for the help, the tank is steadily increasing in temp, being at 84F right now. He is still feeding well although alot more shy now that hes alone, ill try to order some but I havnt seen any for sale in Maine before.

Does anyone know how senegals do with temp? The 55 only houses a marble goby and a few small senegals. I can rehouse the goby but the senegals are too small to fit in other tanks

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
I had my tank at 89 for almost two weeks treating fungus and the sen did fine

Sent from my SPH-D700 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
alright, I wont worry too much about the senegals then. As the tank warms up, the peacock is getting more active and doesnt seem so shy to see me. Things are looking up! thanks guys

The.Kid9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
House
I recently tried to keep peacock bass which later devoloped an infection and died. About two weeks ago I saw a school of babies(1.5") for sale and I bought three more. They ate well on blood worms, brine shrimp and on day two started eating pellets. They are being grown out in a 10 gallon at 82 F with hopes to move them to the 55 when they grow just a little bit more. The runt of the litter ate, but never trusted me(skiddish) and ate considerably less than his two brothers. four days ago he simply died, no symptoms of anything except his decreasing body mass. The other two continued to eat well. Today I woke up to find another one died that looked completely healthy last night. I still have one fat baby left that appears healthy. Is water quality to blame and i should continue to do massive water changes? are baby peacocks just really sensitive? Or does anyone have little tips or hints for ideal water quality/raising peacocks, my water is also pretty hard.

When i first started, i went through 3 batches of 1.5in pbass...and gave up after one die after another and decided to stop for a while, do my homework and got back into it now being able to raise them and seeing them grow...Hopefully u can do something about it...

fish junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2009
northern utah
always good to check water parameters (amonia, nitrate, nitrite), the water smell?
10 gallons are just so SENSITIVE to changes cuz of water volume.
i say start cycling the 55 and move the remainder in there.
keep us updated.
i think ill have to agree here that ten gallon has fluctuates water chemistry way to easy to be a stable grow out tank move them to the 55 now if you want to save them even a small water change in a ten gallon tank can practically wipe out the bio load or at very least throw it off balance it will make your fish go thru new tank syndrome over and over the only exception of that would be if the ten gallon has a sump full of bio

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store