Peta says: Fish Keeping = BAD!

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
… Fish Can Speak, Make Tools, and Think
Fish have cognitive abilities that equal and sometimes surpass those of nonhuman primates...
Who comes up with this drivel? Fish have the most primitive brains of any vertebrate.

… Fish communicate with one another through a range of low-frequency sounds—from buzzes and clicks to yelps and sobs ...
Someone tell them Porpoise are not fish, they are mammals (with very advanced brains). Btw, anyone know how to fit a Porpoise into a twenty long? What is the bag limit on them anyway? I hear they are good with Tuna.

… What You Can Do
Please don’t support the tropical fish trade by purchasing fish. ...
Umm…sure…ok…right…

… If you enjoy watching fish, consider downloading one of the many colorful and realistic fish computer screensavers available on the Web. ...
REALISTIC?!?!?
Show me a screensaver with a feeder's guts squirting out as it is chomped down upon.

… Siamese fighting fish, who are often sold as “decorations” or party favors. ...
Don’t forget entertainment. You can buy two and then have some great half time entertainment when you have your buddies over for the game; all for around five bucks. And you can bet on them like at the cock fights too.

… Biologists say that there is no safe way to return captive fish to their natural environments...
A REAL BIOLOGIST would say to house them with bigger fish and let nature take its course…just like in their NATURAL ENVIRONMENT.

… Fish enjoy companionship... … by going to a dealer.
1. Fish enjoy eating until they pop.
2. Fish enjoy being eaten by bigger fish.
3. (…that’s not mine, man.)

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
This is just another group of uninformed know-it-alls. They have some good points but others are totally ridiculous. PETAS position has always been Think the way we do or you are wrong. Kinda like the inquisition. Pray like we pray or die!

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
is there an anti-PETA group we can join? how bout something called DEATH, someone think of what it can stand for, too early for me

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
PETA doesn't want any one to own pets of ANY kind, dogs, cats, birds, cows, whatever. BTW, ever see a wild cow? Me either. PETA seems to forget that domesticated animals are just that and could not survice in the wild.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
ive seen wild cows. also i kinda can agree with the saltwater thing. i just think that populations of fish that are used in pet trade should be monitored and something should be done before they are given an under threat tag. its easy to do, just its a bit more effort to do it sensibly

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
:eek: You've seen wild cows? Like actual born in the forest livin' off the land wild cows? Where and how did they get there? What do they eat in winter?:confused:

Cool, there are wild cows!;)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Let's see, hmmm...
Chompers,
some fish click, whistle, or buzz as mating activity or in schooling, grunts and even clown loaches do it,:)

Davo,
there are now organization putting economic pressure on commercial fish collecters to limit takes and methods of harvest, they award groups that pass with a certificate that allows them to sell to member dealers and get a higher price from nonmembers, also enforcement and government oversight are on the upswing:thumbsup:

Newtothis,
There are wild bovines including water buffalo, yak, guar, cape buffalo, and anoa. There are also feral cattle that have not been tame for generations. The characteristics that they share is that they are unpredictable, bad tempered, and potentially dangerous animals.

I am all for the ethical treatment of animals,
what I am not for is letting a small, vocal group of fanatics define the word ethical then enforce their skewd definition on me through misinformation and intimidation.

Speaking of indimidation, some years ago a female friend of mine was wearing a coyote fur jacket (she had shot them herself one winter near Yakima, Wa.), A PETA jerk threw a small can of red paint on her, including the can which struck above her eye. She kicked the snot out of him and punched up a couple other PETA members with him when they interfered.
Everyone was arrested but not only was she released with just a warning, the PETA creeps had to pay for the jacket and were charged with assault and disturbing the peace.

Never, ever, give PETA money or sign anything they sponsor, they are the major source of funding for ELF and ALF who are bonafide terrorist groups that spike trees, burn equipment and housing developements, and in one case several years ago shot a liscensed deer hunter.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
The only thing I agree with in there is the saltwater capturing of fish b/c its a real big issue (I learned about at marine camp in the keys) it is a good point. The rest of it they can shove up their holes. A few good points that are made, but wouldnt support them if my life depended on it. Its a bunch of crap that half of it prob. isnt even real, I bet their "biologist" just says crap so people will belive what they want them to.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
The only thing I agree with in there is the saltwater capturing of fish b/c its a real big issue (I learned about at marine camp in the keys) it is a good point. The rest of it they can shove up their holes. A few good points that are made, but wouldnt support them if my life depended on it. Its a bunch of crap that half of it prob. isnt even real, I bet their "biologist" just says crap so people will belive what they want them to.
I totally agree. Also thir rules say a 20'' pacu is comfortable in a 60 tall.:ROFL:

lil_blue

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Idaho
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store