PIC of BABY ALLIGATOR GAR

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
svang55;1666041; said:
are ALL true gars illegal in california?? and why?? Don't have much info or knowledge about gars so just wondering.
yes, all true gar are illegal in Cali...basically, they don't want people to get them, realize they cant house them or get tired of them, and release them into the waterways since they arent native to that area.

and I just figured the fact that my name was Kara would be a sign that I'm not a guy....no big deal though.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Sti;1666048; said:
I think the picture that aquascape has is a pretty young alli gar.
those pics are all too big, the ones i saw are like 2.5 - 3"

KaraJo;1666051; said:
yes, all true gar are illegal in Cali...basically, they don't want people to get them, realize they cant house them or get tired of them, and release them into the waterways since they arent native to that area.

and I just figured the fact that my name was Kara would be a sign that I'm not a guy....no big deal though.
for some reason the name just didn't jump out at me, depending on what your nationality is, your name can seem like a guys name, but ok, now i know, thanks for the info mam,......... lol jk

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
on primitivefish, they have a picture of a 7" one...a bit bigger than the ones you saw, but I would think they should look similar in proportions and markings...From that I would think you would have a pretty good idea if its a gator or not.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
all true gars are illegal. but lots of the pet stores carry them regardless to what we say on here. i wont mention any, but if u drive around you'll eventually find some.

i got my true gator gar here in san diego at an lfs, the guy swore on his life it was no longer illegal, i said whatever and paid for it. but i know lol

true gator gars, have broader snouts and heads then spotted/shortnose/floridas. so most likely it was a true gator

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
KaraJo;1666069; said:
on primitivefish, they have a picture of a 7" one...a bit bigger than the ones you saw, but I would think they should look similar in proportions and markings...From that I would think you would have a pretty good idea if its a gator or not.
yea I'd say it looks kind of like that one but it's head wasn't proportion to it's body.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
ethnics;1666093; said:
all true gars are illegal. but lots of the pet stores carry them regardless to what we say on here. i wont mention any, but if u drive around you'll eventually find some.

i got my true gator gar here in san diego at an lfs, the guy swore on his life it was no longer illegal, i said whatever and paid for it. but i know lol

true gator gars, have broader snouts and heads then spotted/shortnose/floridas. so most likely it was a true gator
I agree, I've seen half a dozen stores that has true gars for sale. Some will even have red belly pirhanas right out in the open,.............. these guys got balls,..........

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
if its a gator gar it would be painfully obvious...especially if you have already owned a florida/spotted gar.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
demjor19;1667096; said:
if its a gator gar it would be painfully obvious...especially if you have already owned a florida/spotted gar.
Kind of similar to what I was going to say.... These fish are not difficult to ID if you do a 20 second google Image search...

But for the hell of it these are fish in the range your talking about:

Copyright: Isreal Iracheta (TotheGars)

Coloration is variable so do not expect all of them to look exactly like this look at the Morphologic characteristics of the fish....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store