PIC of BABY ALLIGATOR GAR

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
was thinking about getting it but all this going back and forth about it being illegal got to my conscience.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
yup, definitely a gator gar, and it's the smallest one i have seen at an LFS (definitely smaller than what i have seen in person). i'd still say that fish is over 3" if you took it out and measured it though...fish sizes in water (based on estimation) and actual measurement are deceiving.

either way, if you are just getting into gars i would skip a gator by a long shot...go with a Florida/spotted and you'll be much better off--
--solomon

gollum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2006
Australia
xander13;1683902; said:
yup i heard prices there and in austrilia are sky high:)
yup i was lucky to get a longnose gar for $250.. ..usually $500 :WHOA:

we did have gators avail at one stage they were around $800 plus....now they're very rare and ppl want sky high prices ($3500 plus)
I I.D. the gator by it's easily visible TWO rows of teeth they have! that's the easiest way to I.D a gator ,right?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
gollum;1705361; said:

we did have gators avail at one stage they were around $800 plus....now they're very rare and ppl want sky high prices ($3500 plus)
I I.D. the gator by it's easily visible TWO rows of teeth they have! that's the easiest way to I.D a gator ,right?
Problem with going by the two rows is that shortnosed, spotteds and Flordia have them too when small, And while this is a trait to ID an Atractosteus genus gar it does not specifically say it is a gator. Cubans, Croc hybrids and Tropicals have two prominate rows as well.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
gollum;1705361; said:

ouch,........ that's nuts for us in the US to see them on sale for like $20-$50 for babies/juvies and hear what they go for over there in the land down unda

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
I had no idea gar were illegal in cali..

I not into that fish.. cuz i got arowanas that are too small compare to them..

but they do look like awesome ancient fish.. very much like what u would see from a children dinosaur book about ancient fish....

I found these at my LFS... I didnt know they were illegal... they've been there since forever.. no one can afford them...

DSC02869.JPG

DSC02868.JPG

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Why was this old of a thread brought up?
Nice though

rory_068

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2008
way down far
Originally Posted by xander13
yup i heard prices there and in austrilia are sky high:)

hay mate please tell wer you can find longnose gars in ause
i thought the only species you can get are ali and spotted

imo its easy to find gators
i got offerd sum 8'' true gators for $370 and 4''-5'' for $280
at the moment thiers hundreds around with over 400 umm ''imported'' to aus in the last 3 years
spotteds deman a higher price over hier because they are more suited to aquriums
i sold my old 18'' 1 for $600 in less then 1 hour of it being up for sale
5'' 1s usualy cost around $350-$450 sumtimes more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store