PIC of BABY ALLIGATOR GAR

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
demjor19;1675471; said:
i think cannibalism is a big issue when keeping more than one gar at that size.
That is a bit of a problem. If there is any size disparity they have no issue eating their siblings. Raising these fish from a very small size requires surrounding them with food for the first few weeks until you can train them off to a frozen / prepared diet.

how big is that? maybe 3/4 to 1 inch?
The iddy bitty dinky Longnosed is just a bit under 1 inch..

cannabalism.jpg

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
Polypterus;1675639; said:
That is a bit of a problem. If there is any size disparity they have no issue eating their siblings. Raising these fish from a very small size requires surrounding them with food for the first few weeks until you can train them off to a frozen / prepared diet.

The iddy bitty dinky Longnosed is just a bit under 1 inch..

Just curious about something...When I was younger, I netted what appeared to be either gar, pike, or muskie. I cannot remember exactly what they looked like because I was much younger, but it was the end of June and there were about 7 of them. It was about 3' off of a rocky bank in about 2'-3' of water up in NY. The lake there has longnose gar (big longnose gar) but also pike and muskie. Does this sound like a place the gar fry could be? I am sure its going to be hard to say. I only saw them that one year but I will likely be back there this June again. At the time, I had no clue as to how to house them so I let them go.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
KaraJo;1675667; said:
Just curious about something...When I was younger, I netted what appeared to be either gar, pike, or muskie. I cannot remember exactly what they looked like because I was much younger, but it was the end of June and there were about 7 of them. It was about 3' off of a rocky bank in about 2'-3' of water up in NY. The lake there has longnose gar (big longnose gar) but also pike and muskie. Does this sound like a place the gar fry could be? I am sure its going to be hard to say. I only saw them that one year but I will likely be back there this June again. At the time, I had no clue as to how to house them so I let them go.
could be any of those three species, although more likely gar or pike since muskie will usually lay their eggs on sandy substrate. the fry, early one, look very similar to each other as well--
--solomon

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
E_americanus;1675705; said:
could be any of those three species, although more likely gar or pike since muskie will usually lay their eggs on sandy substrate. the fry, early one, look very similar to each other as well--
--solomon
cool, thanks. Honestly if I had to guess, I would say they were pike since I dont remember such a distinct pattern on them and they seemed more neutral in color like a tannish if I remember correctly. They were about 1" long also...I just wasnt sure if all of those species had thier young at that same time or not.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
in terms of timing, it really depends on the population to an extent, it would be perfectly normal to find YOY gars at that time, and also likely to find pike. i know richard has found both at the same time in the same habitats in the detroit river drainage as well--
--solomon

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
thanks for the pics guys,............. great information. The one I saw wasnt' skinny like that but I'll be posting a pic tomorrow so,........... can't wait.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Weylin;1672567; said:
Its most prob a gator..

I recenty saw some 2-3" gators here... They were for arond 8-10$ each...
wow thats amazingly low i just bought a florida/spotted for 85 $:irked:

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Here are the bad pics I took this past Saturday. The bigger one was sold already. Here are 2 pics of the smaller one.

Looks like it's a Gator alright. Right guys???

Also check out my thread about another odd ball fish I need an ID on. Will be in "other monster fish" forum. Go check it out.

Gator Gar 4-5-08.jpeg

Gator Gar 4-5-081.jpeg

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
it's a gator gar!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store