pictures of wild asian arowanas

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I've heard yes a million times, but I have heard of people with such well kept tanks, that are large enoug, that they can attain full size in an aquarium too. Although these aquariums are well over the 1000 mark for one aro.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
That green is so damn huge.

I love seeing that pic.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
That is a giant green aro.

ckk125

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Malaysia
you can never get that size in captivity... btw, it is illegal to catch a wild asian aro here...so it is very hard to actually find a photo. anyway, it wouldnt be as nice as the farm ones..because their scales, fins and barbels will always be bitten off or nipped.

yuppa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
I have never seen proof that wild aro are better then farm aro.
I am very much against keeping wild aro.

For the record tho, asian aro *can* reach 4 feet in home aquaria, however this is very rare and most aro's don't get much past 2 feet.. growth is super slow after that, like 1 inch a year.

I saw a 4 foot RTG in suma aquarium in japan.. Of course the tank it was in was more like a small lake. It was a monster tho, I can't imagine catching or moving a fish that large.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
yuppa said:

For the record tho, asian aro *can* reach 4 feet in home aquaria, however this is very rare and most aro's don't get much past 2 feet.. growth is super slow after that, like 1 inch a year.

I saw a 4 foot RTG in suma aquarium in japan.. Of course the tank it was in was more like a small lake. It was a monster tho, I can't imagine catching or moving a fish that large.
Moving a fish that large, and that strong, not to mentions valuable, would be very painstaking work. Of couse for someone to take the time to have such a big aquarium, and care so well for the fish that long would have to have all the necessary implements (money) to do so.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
yuppa said:

like you said perhaps it could grow that big. but would take a very long time. and def not in home aquariums. i most cases if an rtg grows to at least 2 feet in a home aquarium, it would have been a big achievement by it self.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store