pictures of wild asian arowanas

sam_cj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
PH
i've seen this picture for quite a no. of times already but still i enjoy it. :headbang2

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
yuppa said:
I have never seen proof that wild aro are better then farm aro.
I am very much against keeping wild aro.

For the record tho, asian aro *can* reach 4 feet in home aquaria, however this is very rare and most aro's don't get much past 2 feet.. growth is super slow after that, like 1 inch a year.

I saw a 4 foot RTG in suma aquarium in japan.. Of course the tank it was in was more like a small lake. It was a monster tho, I can't imagine catching or moving a fish that large.
............... I thought asian aros max out at 36" or 90cm even in the wild. So I doubt the arowanas you saw is 4 feet.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Fried_fish said:
............... I thought asian aros max out at 36" or 90cm even in the wild. So I doubt the arowanas you saw is 4 feet.
36" is thought to be the max size. However if you look at that picture I posted earlier in the thread, it definitely if over 36". While 48" is a little big, you never know. There always are the rare ones that break the record books.

yuppa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
well the suma aro was *definately* over 3 feet.. 4 feet might be a little exageration, but not much if it is..
biggest aro i've ever seen in my life..
my 2' rtg is considered the biggest asian aro on the west coast where I live, i've had many aro ppl go into shock over seeing how huge it is, I used to think it was big until i saw suma rtg..
now my rtg looks like a little baby

I've seen pics of 30+ inch aro's in home aquaria tho

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
WyldFya said:
36" is thought to be the max size. However if you look at that picture I posted earlier in the thread, it definitely if over 36". While 48" is a little big, you never know. There always are the rare ones that break the record books.
You can't eyeball it and say its definitely over 3 feet. Unless someone has a a tape measure or some type of an accountable scale in the picture I would still say 36" for max size and 39" if you belileve in freaks of nature but I'll be damned to see a 48" asian aro or close to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store