Piranha caught in South FLA .. This wont help the cause...

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I think they should've tried to trawl the lake for juvie Piranhas. it might not be practical, due to the things that, by design, are in freshwater (weed beds, rocks) but at least they could get a sense of weather or not the Piranhas were breeding. Crofton Pond was only poisoned after a few hundred Snakeheads were recovered.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
From a conservatory ecological standpoint, it makes far more sense to poison and re-stock the pond raather than allow a potential invasive species to gain a foothold...

To quote Hicks from Aliens "Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure..."

However I find it amusing that the piranha garnered this sort of response, but the invasive Cichla did not...

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I love how FL freaks out about piranha and it comes down to them not being native.... but yet they will stock the lakes here with Peacock Bass b/c they can get money from them via sport fishing.

Maybe we start marketing lakes of piranha as tourist fishing spots...

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
The officials make all the bs about invasives. Yet we destroy our natural habitat pollute our lakes and streams air and what not. Don't worry invasives we will destroy everything way before you.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
Yanker;3630082; said:
Oh Man! Damn! That was a nice Cichlia Orino too! :(
-Alex
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
dont think it was an orino, just a florida hybrid.
this is the florida DNR at its best :irked:

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Robbwilder;3629653; said:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-palm-piranha-20091117,0,3028527.story

Not only wast here one .. a second one was found and they poisoned a four acre pond to kill EVERY fish that was there. So not only did these 2 piranha die. EVery fish in this pond died because of it. Bass Peacocks Cats everything ...

Hey how are you long time no see.

Nice link I hate reading about when they poison a lake,etc but have mixed feelings about it because maybe the piranhas could breed there.
You know I find 99% of non natives harmless with zero impact on the enviroment ESP cichlids,etc in our man made canals as way to hot for natives but piranhas if could be different.

You know Miami politicians are thinking of drilling for oil and mining for rocks by the old closed Miami Everglades airport. Sierra club has begun to fight it but thankfully state gvmt hasn't approved it yet.

Now that the FWC has no problem with and the massive water pollution they dont see as a danger to wild life.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Allan01230;3632597; said:
The officials make all the bs about invasives. Yet we destroy our natural habitat pollute our lakes and streams air and what not. Don't worry invasives we will destroy everything way before you.

I agree that has always been my pet peeve here. The new Marlins baseball stadium they are building was on the news for massive run off,polluting the area canal which connects to River .

That the politicians/FWC couldn't care less about as construction co who disregarded rules wasn't even fined by the state but the Miyan cichlid who can live in that filth which humans have caused while native fish die .
That they have a stroke about.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Bottomfeeder;3631318; said:
Orinoco Peacock Bass were stocked intentionally, as were Mozambique Tilapia.

I had no idea that mozambique were intentionally introduced. Thats the onlt talipia here that I cant catch they wont bite a hook.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store