Piranha caught in South FLA .. This wont help the cause...

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Louie;3632840; said:
I had no idea that mozambique were intentionally introduced. Thats the onlt talipia here that I cant catch they wont bite a hook.
I believe they were stocked for waterweed control.

I meant to add, Blue Tilapia were also stocked intentionally in a few isolated waterways for waterweed control, as a gamefish, and as a foodfish. However, non-natives in Florida have a nasty habit of spreading...

If anyone in South Fla are interested in non-natives, Six-Mile Creek is the hotspot. It is downstream from a large fish breeding facility. There is everything in there supposedly, from Parachromis to Plecos to TSN...

dragonfish18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Dat Land
wuts gonna happen the next time they find a piranha or two, poison the lake again?
as another alternative they could have spent a few days on paid time fishing out and sorting the fish before poisoning the lake and release them back into their homes

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
wow.. i didnt know they really do put peacock bass in lakes just for the money of game fishing...

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Louie;3632725; said:
I agree that has always been my pet peeve here. The new Marlins baseball stadium they are building was on the news for massive run off,polluting the area canal which connects to River .

That the politicians/FWC couldn't care less about as construction co who disregarded rules wasn't even fined by the state but the Miyan cichlid who can live in that filth which humans have caused while native fish die .
That they have a stroke about.
Yeah how about the plecos in Brazil that they will not let out of the country. They don't want the plecos over fished yet they are building damns and destroying the rain forest and the Amazon River so they will all die off. I would like to try and breed some of those plecos so at least we can have captive fish before they are all extinct. Politics of land and water management make no freakin sense! I want some L-25 plecos to breed Brazil!

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
The problem is.. the DNR intentionally stocks invasive, or non-native species to our waterways.. "Do as I say! not as I do!" ... Most people don't even bother to think that it might be considered illegal to release their pets.

I have a cow about Zebra Mussles.. But the DNR introducted those. Water milfoil.. Just about every species you see posted as an invasive species when you haul your boat out at the dock.. was introduced by the DNR..

That is why Piranha cause them to freak-out.

The Goverment needs to set the example, and Stop introduceing non-native species. Instead of takeing money from big business 'n letting it molest our ecosystem, they should actually do right by it.

And poisoning an entire lake.. kills more then just the fish, the plants,animals,amphibians,inverts.. It's a quick fix.. nothing more or less. and Piranha are alot less dangerous then some natives. They have big sharp teeth...omg they're in FW not SW! can't say how many times i've been sliced up by walleye and pike teeth. or nailed by a catfirsh barb... Oh crap! Hooks should be out-lawed as well! worst damage i've taken yet.. getting a treble hook in the finger is not a fun experiance.

Our stupidity and fear of the unknown will kill off the native populations long before Piranhas, Snakeheads, god knows what else will be next...

It's truely sad people are driven by such blind fear of animals, just being animals.

GRUN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2009
FL
i live in north port Florida one of Florida's largest city's land mass wise not population. and i catch non native fish nearly every time i go fishing in the local wild life preserve i have pulled pacu out of my creek arcoss the street many times if u ask me the fish are alredy native

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
MonsterMinis;3640119; said:
I have a cow about Zebra Mussles.. But the DNR introducted those.
That is why Piranha cause them to freak-out.

And poisoning an entire lake.. kills more then just the fish, the plants,animals,amphibians,inverts.. It's a quick fix.. nothing more or less. and Piranha are alot less dangerous then some natives. They have big sharp teeth...omg they're in FW not SW! can't say how many times i've been sliced up by walleye and pike teeth. or nailed by a catfirsh barb... Oh crap! Hooks should be out-lawed as well! worst damage i've taken yet.. getting a treble hook in the finger is not a fun experiance.

Our stupidity and fear of the unknown will kill off the native populations long before Piranhas, Snakeheads, god knows what else will be next...

It's truely sad people are driven by such blind fear of animals, just being animals.
Let me point out a few things, please.
Zebra and Quagga Mussels were introduced through the ballast water of ships, same with Round and Tubenose Gobies in the Great Lakes, Green Crabs on the coast, and Mitten crabs in SF.
And the only non-native fish introduced by the DNR and DEC are Peacock Bass, Mozambique Tilapia, and Blue Tilapia. (Barring fish that have merely had their range extended amd were present in other parts of the US.) All the others are just from fishkeepers, fish breeding facilities, and Asian fish markets :)
Oh, forgot to mention, it is stated in the video that Rotanone is only a fish toxin. Of course it might affect Amphibeans and insects as well, however.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store